THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    cast bullet mold for my 45-70 guide gun???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cast bullet mold for my 45-70 guide gun???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
im looking for cast bullet molds for the guide gun. any ideas im kinda new at casting. 300gr or bigger for fun also

Posts: 104 | Location: spokane washington | Registered: 08 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Lee mold #90374. Depending on your alloy choice,you will get bullets in the 400 gn. range. I size to .459 for my rifle, using RCBS "Green" lube.Powder charge wts. in the mid-40's of IMR 3031 have been an excellent powder for this bullet in my Guide gun with standard large rifle primers. I have a 2.5x Leupold mounted in an XS Sight Systems "Scout Mount" on mine and absolutely LOVE IT.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ranch Dog 425G , 6 cavity molds. I have two barrels for my 1895 (18.5" and 22" Octagon). This bullet over a nice load of Reloader #7 is amazingly accurate. And cast in Lyman #2 is will be devastating on deer (at least I hope so! See me after hunting season.....)

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yzm19:
im looking for cast bullet molds for the guide gun. any ideas im kinda new at casting. 300gr or bigger for fun also

To do things proper, you should slug your bore first. But I know that most Marlin Guide Guns are a little oversized, so you will find that a .460" diameter bullet will work best. So make sure you get a mold that will drop a minimum of .460" - you can always size the bullet down.

If you decide to use gas checks then bullet size won't be as critical.

Personally, I believe the sweet spot for the Guide Gun is a bullet in the low 400'ish grain range.

The geezers at castboolits know their stuff - it is a good site for a noob. Have fun!

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Ranch Dog, I have and use their 350 gc bullet that is designed for the Marlin. Also there is pressure tested load data available to keep results in the realm of sanity. Good luck, Lynn

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a 460gr Lee bullet works well at 1450fps with 4198. Kills pigs really well.

Posts: 19606 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the Lyman 451114 for my 1985G. Drops at .451 and 430gr. from WW. Two wraps of 16# paper brings them to .461. I load them over 54gr of AA2495.

Posts: 9 | Location: S.W. Kansas | Registered: 26 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Buffalo Arms molds. They're very good.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As stated by others above GG favor .460" cast bullets..
If you are going to shoot much over 1400fps I would get a gas checked mold..
The mold/load I use the most is a Mt. Molds 400 WFN gas checked, casted 50/50 wheel wts./ Pb, annealed, lubed with Speed Green, over 24-26grs of 2400 for 1300-1450fps (est)..

If you are going to do alot of plinking with your GG Unique is a good accurate powder to use..
Neither powder requires filler but be VERY careful that you don't double charge the case..