Find
Notify
Tools

Turnbull Model 71 .475 Turnbull
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
After admiring Doug's work at the DSC and on line for a long time, I finally took the plunge and ordered a Model 71 in .475 Turnbull. The rifle will have a 26" octagon barrel, a full length magazine, 24 lines per inch checkering on the grip and forearm, and a red Decelerator recoil pad. Of course, the receiver, lever, forearm cap and hammer will all have Turnbull's legendary color case finish. I should have the rifle in several weeks and I am looking forward to shooting and hunting with it. I would love to drag it to Africa and use it on something nasty. Will post some pictures once I get the rifle in hand. Interested in the views of others that may own or have shot some of Doug's rifles.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a modern Winchester '86 that I had them do thier safety and hammer conversion on plus do thier case color majic. I love it!! They do fantastic work, but expect it to be months and not weeks before you get your rifle...unless things have changed since last year.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I hear you on the time frame. I actually bought a rifle they had already done the conversion on, all they had to do was checker the stock and install the recoil pad. Hopefully, that means we are talking weeks not months.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh ok. Well hopefully it will be weeks then. Either way, you'll be well pleased with it I'm sure.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I have one as well,been pretty happy with it,shot some pigs and warties so far,next African trip I think I am taking it back,had the barrel cut down to 24",a little handier to carry in the bush.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a recent production 1886 .45-70 takedown that Turnbull worked over - case color, refinished wood, and removal of the factory tang safety. It is a beautiful piece...I've shot it a little bit out to 100 yds and it is more accurate than I am.

Next, a Winchester 53 in 32-20 that had previously been re-done (well, by an unknown smith). It needed a minor repair, which Turnbull also did, and while it was in the shop I had it cased and the barrel re-blued. Again, fantastic work.

Finally, I installed Turnbull's mount for a Burris Fastfire II sight on a stock Browning 71. Neat product.

I am a big fan. My dad and I went to the shop to pick up one of the rifles and got a great tour of the shop and descriptions of the processes and tools they use. Really friendly folks.

Matt Romagnuolo

Posts: 100 | Location: All over, US Army | Registered: 23 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am not surprised by the comments, all of their stuff looks great. I will really be anxious to see how the Model 71 shoots. I would love to haul it to Africa and chase buffalo or tuskless with it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I shot one of Turnbull's 475 Model 71 rifles last week. It was quite pleasant, recoil-wise. Seemed to be as accurate as I am capable of with iron sights at 100 yards. I'm considering selling my Wild West 457 Copilot and getting a Turnbull in 475 or 500, as I like longer-barrel rifles.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote