THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    "New to me" Winch. 94AE in .444 Marlin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"New to me" Winch. 94AE in .444 Marlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ElKabong
posted
I LOVE PAWN SHOPS!

Found a Winchester 94AE Big Bore in .444 Marlin today...easy 95%+ rifle.
The tag read "Glenfield/Marlin 94AE .444 " and was priced at $249.

This shop seems to price all lever actions at $249 without a scope and $279 with a scope. Doesn't matter what caliber, what condition, when it was made, what brand scope, etc.

I'm sure some lucky schmo has bought a pristine pre 64 for peanuts out of there at some point. It was my turn today...I ask what's the best price...$200 plus tax (I usually beat them into backing the tax out of the sale price too Razzer .

I filled the 4473 out (without looking by memory Wink ), and pay with debit card since I didn't have enough cash. I was half way to the car and was sticking the receipt in my pocket when I noticed he rang up $2.12 instead of $212 .

Hold On! I went back in and paid him the difference. If these guys get fired they may hire someone who can actually spell gun and my gravy deals may be over. Plus, the way they price guns, I sure as hell don't want him screwing up my Spicy Chicken Combo with a Large Diet at his next job!

Here's some pics for the non-believers............

P.S.
I pointed out it was W-I-N-C-H-E-S-T-E-R and told him to make sure the bound book was correct, I would hate to see these guys get jail time. I once watched them sell a Marlin Model 60 and write down NONE as a serial number since someone had sanded and painted the whole receiver with what looked like Rustoleum. Not my deal, so I kept my pie-hole shut and mentally filed it under HMMMMMMM.....NOT GOOD!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You got a nice rifle there! Its good that there are still honest people in this world!

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, nice price, you done good. I applaud your honesty.

For deer sized game 240 gr bulletgs will do fine. For bigger stuff it is hard to beat the hnornady 265 gr, or the 270 Speer, or the 300 gr Hornady XTP.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle honest dealing are the best good for you.

short and fat and hard to get at, hit like a hammer and never been hit back.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up one of the M94 Timber Carbines in .444 this past year. It's a nice little gun but boy does it kick! It kicked so much in fact that I needed to get laser surgery on my retina after the recoil detchted my retina!!!

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one just like yours. It is not the Timber Carbine. If I remember correctly it holds 6 in the tube. It did kick more than my marlin.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I bought an M17 Eddystone Sporter 30-06(very nice older conversion) from a pawn shop that they had listed as "Mauser" in their log. I tried to tell them the difference, but they only wanted the in and out columns to match. It was only $120 and made a nice 30-378.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Fired a few into the 50yd backstop in the middle of a snow storm today. It was way colder than I thought so after trying a .22 semi I did some repair work on and putting 6 rounds thru the .444 I called it quits.

Bought some 240gr Remiington SP's at Gander Mountain, no dies or brass yet. With a t-shirt, sweatshirt and a heavy Carhartt jacket the recoil was still brisk but not too abusive. I think with hotter loads like the LeverRevolution stuff, or some Buffalo Bore's ,and summer clothing it might be a little stout though.

Will probably get a slip-on Limb-Saver for shooting it off the bench. The stock pad is rubber but thin and very hard.

I did learn one thing though.....
Lever action rifle + big-bore caliber = BIG FUN!

ElKabong

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I might be able to drive to that pawn shop. A thousand miles for a deal like that would be a good thing.

"There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a 30-06." Lindy Wisdom

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
I went into a Pawn Shop in Kansas one day, on the rack was a lever gun I hadn't seen there before, so I asked to look at it.

The Tag said "Winchester 30-30" $149. But what it really was was a genuine Winchester model 92 that had been converted to .44 Magnum by someone who knew his business. That was one of the best gun buys I've ever made.

Another time I looked a gun marked with a tag that said "Bolt action.22 $75", same pawn shop. Turned out to be a Mini Mark X Mauser in .223

This same pawn shop would have a variety of absolute junk marked between 200 and 300% of actual value. But there were occasional pearls to be found.

Posts: 59 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Same shop a week later I get a Remington 788 in .30-30 (pretty desirable..a mint one just went for $900 on GB) for $200 out-the-door because the safety is sticking.

I disassembled the trigger and scraped out all the dried up WD-40 (redneck wonder juice!), cleaned everything up and it runs fine now.

ElKabong

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
Would you happen to know the twist rate on the Winchester 444's?

I'm considering one, in leiu of another Marlin 45-70. But if I'm going to get the same ridiculous 1 in 38 twist as the marlin 444, I'm not interested.

One of Us
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Should be 1 in 20" IIRC.

Also, someone told me the the newer Marlins are l in 20 if they are the Ballard rifled ones. The Micro-Groove barrels are 1 in 38".
Several sources say that even the 1 in 38 will stabilize 300 grain jacketed bullets.

One of Us
Picture of Warhawk
posted Hide Post
it's possible that the 1 in38 barrel would stabilize a 300 grain bullet, but I would put my money on the Winchesters 1 in 20 twist to outshoot it.

If I get this rifle, I'll want to shoot heavy 300+ grain cast bullets in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent deal!
Bought one new a few years ago and really like it except for that receiver safety: it gets bumped on more often than you can imagine (you stand there wondering why this thing isn't going off, not safe in bear country.)

I took it off my gun: with the other inherent safeties( lever safety and rebounding hammer only striking when trigger is pressed) I found it unneccessary. (Not saying you should do the same or anything.)

Regards:

J. Shields

One of Us
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the little brother (356 Win) to this one..identical gun in almost as perfect shape too!

Paid a little over double what I had in the .444, but I'm still not complaining!

Now I need the 375 and ?? one other?. I forget what calibers you could get the 94AE in.

ElKabong

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have posted this before but I have a new in the box never been fired 375 winchester, bought it when they first came out was going to give it to my nephew when he was old enough to hunt but he is not intrested but his younger brother is.

Posts: 251 | Location: Just north of Salingrad. | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BET YOUR NOT GONNA TELL US THE WHERE A BOUTS OF THAT GUN SHOP WITH THE GOOBERS RUNNIN IT !

Posts: 744 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did they not make them in 307.Win?