THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    BLR will not feed properly.....any suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLR will not feed properly.....any suggestions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RLI
posted
I have a Browning BLR .308Win. early 1970's model and somtimes while working the lever it ejects but the magazine pushes the next 2 rounds up after the empty has been ejected resulting in a jam. I presume it is the magazine catch not holding the magazine in properly (there is minor movement) or is it the mag.? I do not have another mag. to compare. Any suggestions?
RLI

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RLI: I'm going to guess that your magazine is at fault - the clips from my older BLRs move around a little but still function correctly. If you care to send me a personal e-mail with your address, I can mail you a magazine from a 1977 BLR that you can try and see if it cures the problem.

pagris

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pagris is totally correct, and very generous. The BLR feed system is the magazine lips. Mags have been listed on gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com lately.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to get a new one for my Pre-81 recently. I got a new one from that place in Canada (takes forever). See the browning web site. Be prepared to pay about $50.00

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike. $50 is reasonable. There was a fellow specializing in magazines and when I asked the price for my early BLR in .358, he wanted $150. I passed and also asked him if he robbed banks as his day job.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you might try tweaking the spring or the feed lips also. just slightly and take your time. sometimes either or both will cure your woes...........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an original BLR in .358. I bought this rifle used, and when I first got it, it would do the same. One cartridge was in the proper position for feeding, and the one below was a little back, but was trying to feed as well. It turned out that there were a lot of burrs on the bottom of my bolt in the grooving that were picking up the case and moving the cartridge forward.

I didn't know how to disassemble the action of the rifle, but I "went at it" with whet stones and if needed small files, and removed all of the burring from the underside of the bolt and the gearing on the lever.

I haven't had the problem since.

You can discover if this is the problem by running your finger over the bottom of the bolt. Also, there would also be some scoring on the cartridges that were trying to double feed.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote