THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Update...Marlin 1895G...Round to Octagon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update...Marlin 1895G...Round to Octagon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finished up this project yesterday...Wrote an article on my web site.....what do you think?

www.rvbprecision.com

"Marlin 1895G – From Round to Octagon Barrel"

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice work!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Just curious.
Comparing the expense of buying a Marlin and putting an octogon barrel on it vs. buying a Winchester with an octogon barrel.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, first of all you would have a Winchester......Nuff said.... :-)

I bought the 1895G for $450 and the barrel for $50. The work is "free" because I do it myself. But the enjoyment I get out of doing it, whether I need it or not, is priceless (And I almost NEVER need the modifications I perform)

A Marlin 45-70 with an Octagon barrel will run in the $700 range. If you can find one!

A Winchester in 45-70 with an Octagon barrel would be much more.

And now I have a rifle that no one else on planet earth has..........

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Roy...

VERY nice work...and fast! I think the rifle looks great and agree with all of your choices. The 24" barrel looks fine and (to my eye) "fits" with the traditional 20", 24", and 26" lever gun lengths. I had a difficult time removing the octagon barrel too. I'm sure you noticed the slight flare on the barrels tenon shoulder. They screwed it on with such force it actually mushroomed the barrel steel against the receiver.

Again...nice work and I'm glad that barrel found a good home.

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jon!

Today I had reason to drive from Massachusetts to Wilks Barre PA. This brings me right through West Hurley NY and the Numrich Gun Parts Corp.

Checked to see if they had any Marlin octagon barrels. They have brand new, 22RF, 20", blued for the Marlin Model 39.......$70!

I grabbed one....now I need to find a doner Model 39.... Big Grin