THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Y'all Help Me Decide - Which one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Y'all Help Me Decide - Which one?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted
Look for a Browning 1886. Now that I have one I can't imagine having anything else in .45-70. It is a winner.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'd love the original 86,if you like the browning

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 1895G Guide Gun. The ports I could do without and I may yet shorten it. The trigger needed some work but most I've handled do. The Wild West Guns drop in trigger made a big improvement. I have also replaced the factory bumper with a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. Been working with the 350 grain Hornady at 1700 fps; snappy and accurate.

If I hunted a lot in the rain or from a boat I'd be interested in the stainless Guide Gun, though I think it would be more practical and better looking stocked in gray laminate.

But if I had it to do over again I'd be strongly tempted to buy the Cowboy. It is the most handsome of the 1895 line, weighs only a pound more (maybe even more would be better), and has the longest sight radius when shooting with irons. I don't know how much the longer barrel helps velocity, but the 18-1/2 inch ported barrel gives up 100 fps from the nominal ballistics, clocking 1200 and 1700 with factory 405 and 300 grain ammunition, respectively.

No matter which one you pick you'll have a solid rifle with a big hole in the end of the barrel. Have fun shopping. Good hunting!