THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    New to lever actions. Looking for opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to lever actions. Looking for opinions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,
I've never hunted with a lever action rifle, but I am thinking about buying one soon.

I have an old Win 1886 in .33wcf that my grandfather passed on to me. I'd rather not use that to hunt due to the family history of it.

I'm looking at the Marlin 45/70 guide gun. Would you guys suggest that as a good start or is there a better lever?

I figure the lever would be nice to use in the MI woods. And I'd also like to add one to the collection.

Posts: 25 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 would be a good choice.

I had a Marlin rifle in 45/70 and by brother has the Guide gun.

If I was to get another 45/70 Marlin it would definately be the Guide gun.

His shoots like a Sniper Rifle at 100 yards.

If yoiu want a rifle like the family 33 WCF one of the new made Winchesters/Brownings in 45/70 or 348 WCF would be a good choice as well.

While I am not a lever action freek I have owned a few Winchesters and Marlins,

My favorite is my new made 1895 Winchester Take Down in 405 WCF.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
The 45-70 guide guns are a tad light, but otherwise good weapons.

Unless you simply want another thumper, I might consider a smaller diameter , faster cartridge.

Look into Win 88 and Browning BLR's (have both)( Or for more $ the Sako's), these are basically bolt guns with lever actuation.

BTW,grew up around the 33 WIn and 35 Win, good rounds, good guns.

Currently have 405 and 50 AK as my "big" levers.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you're hunting in Michigan's woods, long range isn't an issue, and a lever gun is a great choice. With practice and the right ammo, 200 yard shots can be done with relative ease.

I currently have a Marlin 1985 XLR, chambered in .45/70. Prior to that I had two Guide Guns, one in .450 Marlin and the other in .45/70.

While I liked the Guide Guns well enough initially, I've found that I like the stock design of the 1895 XLR better (it seems to just fit right) and the added barrel length seems to make the rifle a little steadier. I thought the short Guide Gun was just a tad muzzle light and didn't settle in as nicely as the longer barrel does. You do pick up a slight increase in bullet speed with the longer barrel too. I chronographed the same lot of ammo from my Guide Gun and from the 1895 and while I can't remember the numbers, the 1895 consistently spit bullets faster. It wasn't by a significant increase, but it was faster.

I had a Brockman peep sight on the gun initially and liked it very much. But, I was given an opportunity to test the Alpen Optics 4x rifle scope and that makes those 200 yard shots easier. However, the field of view is good enough that short range, quick shooting works with the straight 4x.

Take a look at the 1895 XLR and see how you like it in comparison to the Guide Gun. You might be like me and find it fits better.

For ammo, I've been shooting the Garrett Cartridge Company 420 grain bullets and they shoot great from my rifle. It's not uncommon to have three shots touching when I shoot it from the bench.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sa85:
Hey Guys,
I have an old Win 1886 in .33wcf that my grandfather passed on to me. I'd rather not use that to hunt due to the family history of it.

I respect your desire not to harm your grandfather's rifle. But, I have to ask a few questions....

- Do you suppose your grandfather treasured and cared for his rifle all those years only to have it set side and never used by his family again?

- Or do you suppose he might have performed that care in hopes that future generations of his offspring might not only see the rifle, but also use it once in a while and enjoy that use and the personal independence it recalls? And maybe think respectfully a bit about the work and the life of the real man who brought the rifle into the family, too?

Personally, I have had to make the same kinds of decisions with respect of "family" guns. My own decision was that I should be careful not to abuse those old guns, but that I did honour to my great-grandfather, grand-father, and father by using their tools carefully (as they did), for the same purposes they did, with as much thought and skill as I could muster, just as they did.

So, once a year I still try to take one or another of their guns out and hunt something with it. Funny, when I do, I feel connected to my father and forerathers even more closely...almost as if they were still with me and smiling in the re-kindled fire & warmth of remembrance.

And when I pass on in a few years, I hope my son will do the same, to keep alive within him his connection with me and his grand-dad who loved him dearly (and generations back beyond that).

It is not about how well I or my son can protect the dollar value of those old guns I'll leave him.

It is about family, family traditions, and our family's style of life over the years which made us what we are. That is, members of the XX XXXX family, Westerners next, country folk next, Native North Americans after that, with values and memories far beyond the grasping, greedy, vainglorious, human sea which now surrounds us to the point of almost but not quite drowning out our family's hard won place in this world.

Of course, I cannot say whether what you decide is ultimately either right or wrong. That is for you alone to determine. I just suggest to you to do the thing you comfortably feel best honours your own family history.

Best wishes,

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta canuck is right the old 33 deserves to be taken out and used for what it was made for and it will defiantly get the job done. It's a chance to relive a little history.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by sa85:
Hey Guys,

I respect your desire not to harm your grandfather's rifle. But, I have to ask a few questions....

- Do you suppose your grandfather treasured and cared for his rifle all those years only to have it set side and never used by his family again?

- Or do you suppose he might have performed that care in hopes that future generations of his offspring might not only see the rifle, but also use it once in a while and enjoy that use and the personal independence it recalls? And maybe think respectfully a bit about the work and the life of the real man who brought the rifle into the family, too?

Personally, I have had to make the same kinds of decisions with respect of "family" guns. My own decision was that I should be careful not to abuse those old guns, but that I did honour to my great-grandfather, grand-father, and father by using their tools carefully (as they did), for the same purposes they did, with as much thought and skill as I could muster, just as they did.

So, once a year I still try to take one or another of their guns out and hunt something with it. Funny, when I do, I feel connected to my father and forerathers even more closely...almost as if they were still with me and smiling in the re-kindled fire & warmth of remembrance.

And when I pass on in a few years, I hope my son will do the same, to keep alive within him his connection with me and his grand-dad who loved him dearly (and generations back beyond that).

It is not about how well I or my son can protect the dollar value of those old guns I'll leave him.

It is about family, family traditions, and our family's style of life over the years which made us what we are. That is, members of the XX XXXX family, Westerners next, country folk next, Native North Americans after that, with values and memories far beyond the grasping, greedy, vainglorious, human sea which now surrounds us to the point of almost but not quite drowning out our family's hard won place in this world.

Of course, I cannot say whether what you decide is ultimately either right or wrong. That is for you alone to determine. I just suggest to you to do the thing you comfortably feel best honours your own family history.

Best wishes,

AC

Good post Alberta Canuck. I think I will take the old .33 out this year for the woods hunt instead of buying a new one.
The rifle was actually willed to my uncle, who in turn gave it to me because I'm the last male with our last name in the US that can pass it on.
Thanks everyone for the replies.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
.33 WCF is a great stopper of whitetail. I haven't used it yet on anything else. .33 stamped cases were too high priced for a tightwad, so I formed them from Starline 40-65. Good luck. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got some ammo here that I think I bought from Buffalo Arms. It's stamped 45/70 but resized to 33wcf.
I tried out a few rounds a couple years ago and they were accurate. I'll seee how they do on MI whitetail this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While a fella might still want to a pick up a Marlin 1895 XLR stainless/laminate for hunting in snotty weather, collecting your venison with Grandad's 33 WCF will be about as cool as it gets. Take pictures.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Another supporter of the XLR, perhaps in the .338ME, which is very close to the .33 winchester in performance.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck:

You write in a manner that reminded me of Aldo Leopold's "A Sand County Almanac" -and I mean to pay you a compliment. (If you have never read it, I urge you to do so - you and he are kinfolk in spirit)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
Alberta Canuck:

You write in a manner that reminded me of Aldo Leopold's "A Sand County Almanac" -and I mean to pay you a compliment. (If you have never read it, I urge you to do so - you and he are kinfolk in spirit)

Thank you, Gerry. I have never read Mr. Leopold's book, but will try to pick up a copy at the County Library when I go to town this afternoon.

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
As always late to the party but I will chime in as well....

I have loved my little thumper a Marlin in 45/70 from the years before they thought of "guide guns."

Nothing wrong with the guide guns but these beauties have a little more barrel and I like the balance better.

My old trusty "Hand of GOD" as my wife refers to it, will shoot anything with "minute of deer or hog" accuracy. The versatility is amazing, from 300 grain hollowpoints that absolutely pulverize a deer to my home cast 550 grain thumpers that will split a RR tie.

Obviously I'm a fan of the Marlin but by all means take the 33 out for a walk, I know I would, carefully, not in the mucky stuff, but I would connect with my ancestors for sure with it, fun.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote