THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: 375 winchester loads for moose?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 375 winchester loads for moose?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to try the 235 speer bullets as first shot followed by Barnes 255 gr.I have some awesome loads that about equal the 375 jdj with aa1680 powder.I think the 220 gr hornady is just too thin jacketed for moose.I have had them up to 2500 fps and they turn into silver dollar sized when pushed that hard.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why push them that fast ? It seems like you would have a more effective load in the 2000 fps range. Do you have any cast bullet options ? Either way it sounds like you have a plan. Why the 375 ? I'm not knocking it just curious. I often hunt deer with the 44-40 just for my own personal enjoyment and historical reasons.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I think the 220 gr hornady is just too thin jacketed for moose.I have had them up to 2500 fps and they turn into silver dollar sized when pushed that hard.

What do you expect? Those bullets are a made for a muzzle velocity of around 2,200 fps, at most.

What really needs to happen is for Nosler to make us a Partition. Now, that would be nice.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The other thing I think of when you push them that fast is the possability of a close shot. I once took a Caribou from about 15 yards with a 270 Weatherby and Nosler Ballistic Tips. It did the job but it sure wasn't pretty. You never know what's going to happen in the bush. So many of us prepare so well for that long shot but we forget to factor in the possability of a shot at less than 60 yards.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote