New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Marlin 336 come back home!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In 1972, my girlfriend at the time, bought me a brand new Marlin 336 for deer hunting in Maine. (I ended up marrying this gal!)
Over the years it shot a number of deer. One day I was driving my ATV out to the hunting area with the Marlin 336 strapped on the front luggage rack. A bit of the stock was sticking out past the rack and it clipped a tree breaking the stock at the wrist. Luck would have it that the gun was in a soft case and all the wood pieces were accounted for. I returned to the camp and used some 5 minute epoxy to put the puzzle back together. I hunted again that afternoon with it and for many more years.
The gun has seen it's share of bumps and bruises. So at some point, I did a little customization. Cut the barrel down, Gun Koted the whole thing Semi Flat Black and painted the stock with Brownell's Grit Paint. A few more deer fell to this new modified rifle.
About ten years ago I decided to sell it as I simply had no need or want of a lever action. I sold it to a friend at my gun club for $75. But now I have Marlinitis! I contacted the friend to buy it back as I knew he had had some medical problems and wasn't going to be using it. But he sold it to another fellow who sold it to another fellow. Well, finally I tracked it down and bought it back this morning for $150 (inflation?)
So here it is:

Better pictures when the rain stops.

The wood will be replaced, the barrel will be Octagon in 7-30 Waters Ackley, and the receiver will be color case hardened.

Once I get it all done it will be presented to my eldest grandson as his first deer rifle..........

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The history of your Marlin and it's "travels" has the makings of a legend within your family.
Can you imagine the stories that will center about the rifle when you grandson is sitting at some future deer camp? An American tradition at it's best!!

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sentimental value alone [starting in 1972] makes that one worth at least 2-3x what you paid to get it back.

-Will be a family heirloom, indeed.

BTW... I may have to bounce that "guns as gifts" idea of my sweetheart.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Certainly not trying to out do your story, I have a 336 story too. My dad had hunted ducks, geese, and quail all his life, but had never hunted deer until about age 40. He was an electrician and sometimes bartered for his work. He came up with a like brand new 30-30 336 Marlin. Got his first deer with it and by the next year had a Rem 721 in 30-06. The 30-30 was almost never shot after that. He had gone to the lake and had the 336 under his pickup seat and neglected to remove it. When he went to get it, it had been stolen. He had a Lyman receiver sight installed on it as well as a recoil pad. The gunsmith bought recoil pads that had his name embossed on them. PERRY WRIGHT GUNSMITH WICHITA FALLS TEXAS. This was before zip codes and two letter state abbreviations. Dad also had a military style sling on it. Over a year after the gun was stolen, I was about 16 and was in a pawn shop and spotted his gun. I recognized it by the sling, sight and recoil pad. The cops picked up the guy that pawned it and he said he was working in a service station and some guy sold it to him and he pawned it the next day. Dad got his gun back and I got it when my dad died. It is a 1950 and I seriously doubt that it has 100 rounds through it.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Awsome story

Good can overcome evil.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3078 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote