Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Ray A., a question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Since you are one of the few hunters I know who regular goes afield horseback with a rifle in a saddle scabbard, do you find saddle rings at all useful? I'm a shank's mare hunter, so either remove the damned things or tie them up with a thong so they don't rattle.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Ray will answer soon enough but I'll give you my take in the mean time. I personally like the ring and it can be used with a thong in some scabbards to secure it, especially if it is a rear facing scabbard the rifle could "walk out" of the scabbard while you are riding without you seeing it.
A couple times I've seen where people have wrapped the entire ring with leather thong material to quiet it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Snellstrom. I have seen both the full leather wrap as well. Might have been on someone's cowboy action lever gun.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16531 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I see no need or use for a saddle ring on a rifle, a loose flopping rifle is not a good thing and I have seen some hang a mod. 94 SRC rifle on the saddle horn! and that can get one in trouble and it does not protect the rifle...

Nothing and I mean nada takes the place of a heavy leather "well wet fitted saddle scabbard" properly belted to the swells in front and the D ring in back on your saddle, and at an angle to where it won't slip out. The old timers cut them off mostly. Also they can rattle a bit I guess as my granddads guns had the saddle ring wrapped with the silverskin off the backstrap of deer or elk..I still have that gun and it still looks neat.

I had one of those leather thongs hanging off my Daisy Red Rider BB gun when I was about 5 years old, I didn't like it then. Wink

Proper positioning and a proper fitting saddle scabbard is pretty important if you are going to pack a rifle as much as I do..When I ranched that was daily. I carried a mod. 94 trapper in a fitted saddle scabbard for my trap line or for the many preditors we had that came out of Mexico and the Big bend Nat'l. park.

Even my scope sighted bolt actions saddle scabbards are custom made by local saddle shops and have a flap to cover the scope and lock in the rifle..and I carry them in a different position on my horse..How to pack a rifle on a horse is a whole nuther thread. there are options but mostly it depends on the rifle your packing. How to position a rifle is the most important part of saddle carry IMO.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote