THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Marlin 1895 GS guide gun 45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1895 GS guide gun 45-70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Avatar
posted
For my Guide Gun I load a 300gr Sierra HP over 56grns of AR2207 and a CCI LRP.
Turns up 2175fps over the Chrony.
Muzzle blast is quite impressive (even without ports) and always gets a few comments from the 22cal boys when used at the local range. Recoil, whilst not light, is easily managable.
Muzzle energy is up around 3000ftlbs I think, not bad for a 7lb rifle.

Posts: 408 | Location: The Valley, South Australia | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigboresixguns,

Welcome.

You don't have to apologize for your post.

If you consider bore size and not foot pounds the standard for classification, the hole your punching is BIG! A few of the members here believe knockdown is the way you judge a round for it's "Big Bore" slot in the chain of rounds, but most I'm sure don't.

Post your 45/70 questions anywhere you like, the bulk of the members are a great bunch.

As to scope choice, use what is comfortable for you. Several good choices have been suggested so far. My stainless has a 1x4x20 Luie, with Weaver See Thru mounts. It works great for all situations. Some don't care for the scope mounted up high, but I personally do. You can have the best of both worlds with this setup. It seems to work real well in carrying the gun to.

One other thing you have probably noticed about the GG, the handling characteristics. The gun just seems to fall into a natural hold. Kind of like a shotgun hold.

Anyway, enjoy this site, it's great.

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote