New
Find
Notify
Tools

New very old 44/40
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a original 1873 SRC 44/40.
Built in 1888. Its all there, and in fine mechanical shape. Bore would rate 5 or 6
I popped a primer and ran some rounds through the action. Its a bit stiff from lack of use but getting better.
The trigger is real good. the only issue so far is the lifter does not always line up with the bore.
I have no digi cam but could do some phone pics...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would give it a good degreasing/cleaning and than oiling.

It is amazing how many older guns have never been properly cleaned.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P dog you are right there, i pot some oil here and there and used Q tips and got a suprising amount of gunk out of the action.
It is working much better now. I also seated my bullet on the dummy i put together and its functioning real well now.
I am planning to put some rounds together tomorrow. Think i will use 2400, the lyman book shows loads for it and it takes a big enough charge i don't think the case would hold a double charge ! ...tj3006

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
good luck, I would stick to black powder in one that old.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with buckeye, black or Trail Boss.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 13 grains of 2400 over a 205 grain cast proved
perfectly safe in my rifle. Drilled a plastic pop bottle several times !
Probably 8 out of 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Id stick with smokeless, it burns cleaner and doesn't corrode the bore..I shoot my Win. 92, an old first year of production rifle in 38/40 WCF 26 inch barreled rifle, with IMR-4224 for about 1800 FPS and 1.5 inches at 75 yards.. and that's really accurate. 2400 gets me a almost 2200 but less accurate..I love to shoot old Winchesters..Ive shot a couple of whitetail with the 3840 and Hawk bullets, it kills them but IMO they do run too far sometimes. leaves good blood trails as a rule but some have run right at 300 yards and hard tracking so I retired after thatn.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote