Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I was at a garage sale today and they had a Savage 99 in 303 Savage. Price was 200.00, I didnt have the money but I convinced my brother to get it. He talked the guy down another 25.00 and got 2 boxes of ammo thrown in. Bore was bright and rifling was crisp, no rust on the action but the stock was pretty beat up. Did he get a good deal?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no, he stole it!

I would have paid more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too got a Savage 99 300 Savage w/ 4 X scope at a garage sale last week. Paid $ 275 for the scope sited rifle with two boxes of ammo. The price sticker on the old boxs of ammo is $ 6.45,,I ll add the old ammo to my collection so I got a new box of 300 Savage 150 Gr ammo at a local store for $ 35.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would your brother like to double his money???

Dave Manson

Posts: 697 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
no, he stole it!

I would have paid more.

agreed! I paid $550 for mine (in .308 Win).

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DManson:
Would your brother like to double his money???

Dave Manson

lol....no, I think he is quite attached to it now. Cool

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on your description I suspect the gun is worth from $300 to $500..Hard to say without actually having it in my hands.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 300 Savage off a benchrest using Winchester 150 Gr ammo. The 99 rifle was made in 1950 and still shoots under 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 Yds with the factory ammo. I need to work up some reloads with 165 Gr bullets for the old 99.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be going to the wrong garage sales!

Posts: 54 | Location: Nassau County, NY | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote