New
Find
Notify
Tools

What distance to sight in?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I'm all set up on my Marlin 45-70 with a 2 1/2 power scope and with loads varying from 53 through 56 grains of WC 844 under a 300 grain bullet. What distance do you guys sight in your 45-70's at? The range is open this coming Saturday and I am really hoping for some good weather. If it shoots real good I'll take some pictures. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't anyone have a suggestion for a preliminary sight in distance? 150 yards, 100 yards? 75 yards? DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 45-70 in a Marlin 1895 is a fantasitc woods rifle. IMO a good woods rifle is sighted dead on at 100 yards. You might be able to shoot a few yards farther in the woods. But most shots will be under 100 yards. I like my woods rifles dead on so I do not have to compensate for branches or anything else that is in the woods. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure of your location, but as mentioned a sight in range of 100yds is a good workable range. I shoot a Browning '86 and Ruger No. 3 in 45-70 Gov't. and sight both in for 100yds. Actually 200yds is not that tough depending on loads being used and you can hear that bullet smack the target with flat nosed gas checked lead bullets. Fine hunting cartridge for targets of 200yds or less.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would sight in at 100 yards.

Then I would shoot at 150 and 200 yards, if I could.

If not I would check a trajectory chart for your load, and know how much to crank up for a 150 yard zero, and where to hold at 200.

I would test this at 100 yards if you could not shoot farther at your range.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll go along with N E 450 No2's statement. Mine is sighted dead on at 100 but I've checked it at 150 and 200 yards.

But you also have to think about your maximum shooting distance. Some places I've hunted, 50 yards is a LONG shot. In that instance, you might want to consider zeroing your rifle for 50 yards.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just sight it in for 150 yds and you'll be able to take care of anything up to 200 !!
BTW I've found the 300 gr jacketed too fragile for me so I use Win Partition which is the 300 Nosler at about 1850 fps.You'll get expansion and penetration.
Happiness is a warm 45-70 ! dancing

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I sight in 2 1/2 inches high, giving me up to 200 yards without worry about drop.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
GENERALLY (Caps intended) if you sight in at 40 yards. (as the bullet passes UP through the line of sight) you'll be very close at 100 yards. obviously caliber, velocity, sight height, etc. will make differences. But, if I sight a rifle in at 40, I'll be very close at 100

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weather permitting I will be at the range on Sat. I like the idea of dead on at 100. That's how I sight my 223 also. I live in Utah where we can have anything from up real close in the aspens or scrub oak to a country mile. I believe this rifle will be my companion on the 4 wheeler. Should be just the ticket for quick shots close to the trail or in the cedars out west. Thanks everyone, DW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made it to the range with the Marlin today.I shot three different loads along with getting the rifle sighted in. I settled on 55 grains of WC844 under a Barnes 300 grain flat nose TSX. It shoots beautifully. I had a couple of three shot groups that were under an inch while I was still sighting in at 50 and with the above load at 100 it runs 2 3/8's with two of the five touching. I am really excited about the accuracy. OUTSTANDING. DW

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I "Heart" my Marlins...

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sighted my 45-70 Ruger no.3 with a 460gr hard cast at 1400fps at 1.5 inch high at 50 just a bit high at 100 should be good out to 130 or so with out haveing to aim high.

The couple of pigs shot with it died nicely

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've sighted both my Marlin Guide Guns in at 50 yards with a 435gr cast bullet load (and a 400gr cast bullet practice load). It's a bit high at 100 yards and then I haven't shot it much further because our shots here in WV are usually close. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hoping to get an elk tag this year to try the 45-70 out on. I really want to see the effect of that big wide bullet with an even bigger mushroom on a game animal.It will be in the truck on the deer hunt as well. DW