New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forend cap for Mod 71
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently acquired a Browning reproduction model 71 and would like to source a forend cap that has provisions to accept a sling swivel similar to the unit on the original Winchester Mod 71 deluxe.
Any recommendations? Any makers of this accessory?

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have the same rifle and would like to do same thing you are asking about, but I have not found any factory or remade forend caps w/ swivel. Midwest Gun Works carries remaining stock of the Browning reproduction rifles and if they had a std. unit, you could fit it with swivel stud or even weld one w/ sculpted base.
May try that in the future. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One alternative would be to install a barrel band sling attachment but I wanted the gun to look original.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have someone TIG weld it up and make it like the original.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Have someone TIG weld it up and make it like the original.

This is what I had done. Used Dakota swivel mounts fore and aft.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Treebone Carving. I bought some german silver caps from them for old model 94's that could have a swivel added easily.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with Numrich in New York.
They still have some original Winchester model 71 parts from the 50s. Be sure to tell them you want a cap with the sling swivel receptacle.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I visited with my local gunsmith and he suggested using a Dakota sling swivel attachment. He noted you could access these without screw holes and it could be silver soldered to the forend cap. You could put a matching unit on the but stock. I sort like this idea as the original swivels are hard to come by for these guns. I could use generic sling swivels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
I visited with my local gunsmith and he suggested using a Dakota sling swivel attachment. He noted you could access these without screw holes and it could be silver soldered to the forend cap. You could put a matching unit on the but stock. I sort like this idea as the original swivels are hard to come by for these guns. I could use generic sling swivels.

Exactly what I had done 10 years ago.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After owning a number of Model 71's and also several reproduction Brownings, I actually prefer the barrel-band sling swivels.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote