THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    question: holes in old Winchester 1895s for Lyman sight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question: holes in old Winchester 1895s for Lyman sight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill G. in Oregon
posted
I made a deal last week to buy a very nice takedown in '06 made in 1923. It does not have the desirable period Lyman 21 as some do. What I noticed is that most old '95s appear not to have a 2nd hole near the top, left,side of the frame to accomodate the Lyman 21.

question: So were those with the 21 sight drilled after factory production?

Posts: 1783 | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the one at the rear of the left side where the locking lever is? If so, That has to be drilled and tapped for installation. The front hole (pivot) is for the bolt pin removal and is a convenient place for the pivot to be.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From what info I have the model 1895 did not come drilled & Taped for the Lyman Model 21 or 38 ----that was a custom order option

One of Us
Picture of Bill G. in Oregon
posted Hide Post
thanks guys!

Posts: 1783 | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Those holes are an add on some years later in that old guns life, and will necessarily devalue it to some degree, but in nice condition probably not much unless your talking to a Winchester collector and they are best left to their own devices as those guys are plumb hard to satisby! shocker

The Lyman 21 is mounted by the existing Win. screw holes and only elevates the value of a 95.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'm planning on buying an 1895 in 30-40 Krag, the cartridge my father used to hunt Whitetails with in the Wisconsin woods.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is the real story; all these sights are factory fitted; the markings are different on the sighted ones vs the un-sighted; ones; you can tell an after OEM installation as the hole is drilled through the markings. This is a no-no and seriously de-values the rifle. And the screw is a bastard screw size, no longer made. 10xI forgot.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see a Lyman 21 devalue any mod. 95 original or not...Mostly it seems to add a little value, even to the toughest of collectors with the possible exception of museum curators?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote