New
Find
Notify
Tools

99 full-length forstock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I came across what is a new one for me and wonder if others have seen this before.
Model 99, .308, Tang safety with brass rotary magazine feed with a full-length forestock from action to the tip of the barrel. Has a metal cap that looks like a perfect made-to-fit factory. I have checked my books but can't find any info.
Anyone?
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubt if it came from the factory like that, however....Ken Waters in Pet loads shows off his 99 fullstock he had made up for him. Its kind of appealing in a strange sort of way.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I checked into this type of stock a year or two ago. It was strictly a custom job and looks cool as hell...
Boyds out of Mitchell SD would work one up if there was enough demand. I would love to lay my fingers on one also, but a $400 custom pricetag back then was out of my reach. As of my knowledge no one else is offering one right now. My $.02

swede

"You are known by the tracks you leave..."

WyomingSwede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I may still buy it as it really is well done.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've heard there were a few full-stocks in Savage R&D at one time....saw one id'd as such about four years back, but couldn't verify. Nice lookin' rifle.

If you get it, post a pic.

Posts: 25 | Location: south Florida USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple of 99's done with the mannlicher forend and they looked nice. There was a forend on eBay a few days ago. Not aware of the factory ever offering this, I think it is strictly a custom option.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw one for sale in Gunlist sometime back that was a one piece stock that they said came factory as an R&D rifle supposedly to compete with the Win 88.
They claim to have had a factory letter with it.

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I started paper on it. We pulled it and there is a stamped number on the inside. Something I hadn't noticed before is a bad spot on the butt portion. It may require repair.
Once I get it I will post a photo.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fajen used to catalog mannlicher style forearms for Savage 99s.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote