THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re-barrel 99 in .38/55 or .375Win?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-barrel 99 in .38/55 or .375Win?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BwanaBob:
Hey guys,

I am just considering a new project to re-barrel a shot-out and neglected Savage 99 .22 HiPower to either .38/55 or .375Win but am having problems deciding between the two calibres. I am leaning towards .38/55 as there doesn't seem to be much between them ballistically, when shot from a Savage 99, and the components seem to be a little more available.

However, if anyone has some important considerations, when comparing the two cartridges, I would love to hear your views.

Bob,

1) Why not just rebarrel to a 30-30?

2) or better yet, do it in .356 Winchester!!!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In practical terms, based on North American game, I find the 38-55 and it's modern cousin the 375 better killers then the 30-30. Doesn't make them more popular, just better killers. Same as I've found the 35 Whelen kills better then the 30-06. probably just the bigger holes. FWIW - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are a rather dangerous type - I am 79 but would be willing to call you out with any weapon you want to name after your string of gutter Spanish insults. You keep calling me a "moron" -and I always have understood through my journey through life that many people have called me an idiot in an argument - but I have to confess that I never met anyone ,whether in a bar or elsewhere, who took such personal offense as you seem to do about the merits of the 38-55. (Is it that important to you?) I mean it Sir - I do not like to be called a "whore's son" -and I lived in two Spanish speaking countries. (Want to switch to real gutter Spanish?) I suggest that you retract your remarks. Otherwise I will treat you as not worthy to be in the company of hunting gentlemen.

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo:

Apparently you have been truly annoyed by my translation of your Spanish user name.Too bad. ( I have been called worse) I just wonder why you exploded in using gutter Spanish over an argument about the 38-55. I apologize for calling you a "fat cat" (in a translation from Spanish of your user name) - but don't you think calling me a "whore's son" (among other terms) in gutter Spanish was also a little overboard? (I lived in two Spanish speaking countries and while Mexico wasn't one of them, I recognized insult in two of your words. Is the 38-55 really worth starting a war over? Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old shooter, collector, and dealer told me that only a few 99s were made in .375 Win because the rifles had problems with the cartridge. I don't understand it, as the .358 Win works fine, but that's what I heard. Might be the combination of large bore and high pressure, while the .38-55 has only large bore and the .358 has only high pressure.

If it was my gun, and the outside of the barrel was OK, I would probably have it rebored to .38-55. A .30-30 AI would be cool too, but I already have a .300.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the gun if you get it.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote