New
Find
Notify
Tools

1886 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As a new lover of lever rifles I just received my first one. It is a deluxe grade Winchester 1886 in 45-70 with a 22 in barrel. I have a question. On the left side towards the rear and close to the top of the receiver there are two small holes complete with screws close together. Are these holes designed to accept a receiver sight? If they are where can I purchase one and what is available? Thanks folks!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like those holes are there for a Lyman 66 receiver sight. I have a 66 on Mdl 71 and its factory drilled as you have described.
The mounting holes for the sight are under the elevation plate. (see pic in link)

I have both the hunting and target aperatures that I ordered from lyman for my sight. The original aperature must have gotten lost somewhere in the rifles previous ownership.

Hers's the website - www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/sights.htm

You might want to shop around and compare prices before purchasing directly from Lyman.

There might be other choices from Williams or others but this is the only sight that I'm aware of that will fit for a fact.

Good Luck,

GordM

Posts: 76 | Location: Calgary, AB | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes,

they are there for you to be able to place a Lyman 66wb reciver site on, I have that on my 1886 which is now a 50-110. I think it may be more versatile than an xs ghost ring as you can screw in various aperatures and then remove them and have a ghost ring any way. The xs does however look better.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous, my 1886 did not come pre-drilled for a reciever site. Had to get a gunsmith to do it.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote