New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Red Dot" Style Sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here have any experience with "red dot sights" on lever action rifles? I'm ready to try Hornady's new Leverevolution ammo in my 30-30 and want a sighting system that will reach out there beyond open sights. Or should I just try a scout scope?

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I put a scout system on two lever action rifles, a 7-30 Waters and my 45-70. I could not get used to it and removed it. What I found on my 45-70 was that because of the long eye relief once the sun started down it got harder to pick up the target.
I have a red dot on a single shot .223 and it works well out to about 75 yards. There is no magnification and I am not sure how much area the red dot would cover at, let's say 200 yards.
I looked at a 1 power Nikon scope the other day and was impressed. Great field of view, very crisp and bright. I would prefer it to a red dot for the use you describe.

quote:
Originally posted by plainview:
Does anyone here have any experience with "red dot sights" on lever action rifles? I'm ready to try Hornady's new Leverevolution ammo in my 30-30 and want a sighting system that will reach out there beyond open sights. Or should I just try a scout scope?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill.

I checked out a reflex optical sight today and I'm going to go with that. I'll let you know how well I like it in a week or two.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Just curious as to which one you are going to try. I was thinking about one for one of my 1911s for IPSC.
thumb

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be trying my trijicon reflex sight this weekend on my 1895 cowboy 45-70 -- it's going to be my Africa gun in March

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Probably either a Hakko BED 35 Panorama or one of the better ATN's. There are several available with a 2-3 MOA dot @ 100 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by plainview:

The first step up from stock irons is a peep sight (Williams WRGS is best for the $). Remember why you own a levergun in the first place: handy, fast-handling, easy carrying, etc. You mess it up when you put a scope on it.

Now a red dot, depending on the type, might not interfere with carrying, might be rugged, and might be reasonably priced.

But when you're all said and done, you've still got a rifle and cartridge that isn't going to shoot better than pie-plate groups at 200yds - and you don't need a red dot or a scope to do that.

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I shot my 1895 Marlin w. Trijicon reflex sights, and it worked quite well for me -- I couldn't put my head down tight against the stock, like I do w. a scope and a bolt action, but the heads up, both eyes open position works quite well, up to about 70 yds. I have a 4.3 MOA dot on mine, and it pretty well blotted out the target -- I was lazy and used some NRA 25 yd. slow fire pistol targets I found in my truck. -- at 100 yds -- I know, I should just sight it in to shoot right above the dot -- but it doesn't seem to really work when the dot's the size is about the same as the black -- should do well for my purposes, though. I was able to aim, and reaim very quickly though, and able to focus on the target, rather than the sight or gun.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Regarding your 45-70 take a look a Garrett Cartridges web site. Not sure where you are in Texas, but I will be hunting near Mt Home next weekend with my Marlin.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in Kerrville, at the moment -- I'm in houston during the week. I've ordered 60 540 gr solids from Garrett to try -- I just got done shooting some corbons this weekend -- not too bad on recoil, but I'm not very impressed w. softpoints -- or at least theirs -- hit a 1/2" pig iron bar, and little pieces of bullet and jacket went everywhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
dla:

One word: Trifocals. Frowner