New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1894C Breakthrough
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new 1894C in 357 mag, and carefully worked up some loads with deer hunting in mind. Form prior reloading work in 357 for the 12 inch taurus revolver, I suspected that the 18.5 inch bbl of this carbine might do well with Hodgdon Lil'gun powder.

I had also noted in the hodgdon data manual, 2002, that Lil'gun equalled the H110 loads for the 158 gr bullets at only 25,000 CUP and confirmed high velocities at low pressure in the taurus. In the Marlin this same 18.0 gr charge delivered 1885 fps with the 158 grainer, again at very low pressure. Since this is a strong action I slowly worked up to 20 grains of Lil'gun and a velocity of 2089 fps, still at pressures that allowed easy extraction and virgin looking brass. I am guessing that this load is at or near 34,000 CUP and well below the other 41000 CUP loads listed. One additional grain did not increase velocity and also showed not adverse pressure signs.

Nest I repeated this process with the Hornady 180 grain bullet, and went 1.5 grs over the max listed in the manual for 1834 fps. Again, brass looked virgin and extraction was easy.

Max listed loads with H110, Blue dot, Longshot, Tighgroup and 800X all showed the typical signs of a max load with alittle resistance on extraction and well engraved brass.

In any event, both the book and the +P 357 loads in this rifle are exceptionally good for deer at woods ranges and approach the energy from 44 Mag revolver loads...fully capable of taking deer at woods ranges.

Since there was no load and pressure data for the lighter bullets, I stayed with H110 when working with the 125 gr XTP, with the max listed load of 22.0 grs of H110 delivering 2300 fps. With a sectional density of .140 this is a fine varmint load and easily replaces my 22 Mag Rem 597 which shoots 30 grainers to the same velocity but with only a sectional density of .085.

With all of these max loads the rifle is a joy to shoot with very, very modest recoil. The high magazine capacity and the ability to add rounds with a round in the chamber, coupled with the 36 inch length and strong, reliable action make this little rifle flexible, handy and fun...if you have a chance and are a reloader give one a try.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I owned an 1894 in 357, wish I still had it. It was very accurate with jacketed bullets, especially 125 HPs packed with 2400. Great and handy little rifles.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote