New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage model 99 in a 260
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm hung fan of the savage model 99 and I was thinking of getting one of my 308 rebarreled into a 260. Has anyone had this done? It should be just a barrel swap right? I thought this would be a great little gun for my kiddo to deer hunt with. Any insit would be great.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you did not want to go to the trouble of rebarreling, you could have the kiddo just shoot the 308, with either Remington Magnaged Recoil, or Federal Low Recoil loads.

They kill deer and wild pigs very good I have tested both loads.

They both have low recoil, my 10 year old nephew has used the Remington load on 2 deer and one pig.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did think about hand loading down, but I'm going for a little cool factor in a 99 in a 260.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, real cool factor would be a .358win dancing

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A 99 in 260? Yeah, it is way cool! A friend of mine kidnapped an old 243 I had and when it came home it was in 260. Its pretty sweet! Has a Shilen barrel on it and shoots well, not exceptional. Was it worth it? Probably not from a financial standpoint, but if you want something different than all the other kids on the block, go for it!

Posts: 18 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really Cool would be one in 284 Win.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be cool. The only caveat would be whether or not the rotor will feed the .260's reliably. They are pretty closely machined to be caliber specific.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its been done before, i forgot the guys name, there were a few 99's in 7-08rem but they fetch close to 2000 dollars and have the detachable mag, made in Westfield mass not Chicopee falls

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 99F in 243 rebored to .264" for my 99 in 260 several years ago. This rifle sports a Leupold 2-7x33 VX2 in Leupold/Redfield turn-in mount. I had the rifling cut 1 in 8" ROT, so it shoots the 140 grain Partitions quite well. My standard deer load is a combination of Winchester/Olin 243 brass necked up to .264", CCI standard rifle primers, and the 129 grain Hornady SpirePoint.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
It would be cool. The only caveat would be whether or not the rotor will feed the .260's reliably. They are pretty closely machined to be caliber specific.

Do a 99C.

The same detachable mag will feed any .308-based round. Not positive, but I think the same mag even works for 250-3000 and .284, too.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote