New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inhereted 348 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I quick question for the lever experts. I recently was given a .348 model 71 Winchester. It is in absolute mint condition and near as I can tell is the Deluxe model 24" Winchester. According to the serial number it was made in 56. Gorgeous wood and the blueing is almost perfect. Anyway, my questions are this. Is this gun best put to gun safe duties or is it something shootable? I don't have as much as a single shell for it, but see that I can order some. I would kind of like to shoot it and maybe take a whitetail or something of the like with it, but if it has some collector value I'd hate to ding it up. I'm not a "collector" and don't have alot of use for a gun I can't use.

Center of the Nation Outfitters

Posts: 39 | Location: Gillette Wy. | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, it has "collector" value! It is also a very effective and fun gun to shoot. Why not get a box of loaded shells and just shoot it to see how you like it? Then, you can make a more educated decision. In your area (flat land), a flatter cartridge from a scoped rifle may be more applicable, however. But, I suggest you do NOT consider a scope or receiver sight (unless it has the original Lyman bolt peep). ..... in order to maintain originality and value. Heck, if it is indeed pristine....you might peddle it for in excess of 2000., and buy something that is both a safe-queen and a wonderful, versatile hunting rifle.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it and shoot it. Sure, it's worth about $2500 or so but you will kick yourself in the ass later if you sell it.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never regretted selling a gun that I found no pleasure in using. But I've regretted selling a lot I did enjoy using. And I've never regretted selling a gun that would not group.

My advice? take it out and try it. How does it shoot and how does it group? Only then decide.

If you do like it then you've a tough decision. If you don't like it you can at least sell it with no regrets (unless you see it five years later at twice the price).

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Another who would take it out fr a shooting session. I would hunt with it 'gently', meaning taking it to a stand where it would not be damaged when hunting.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cartridge was made for ELk in the timber. Hit the Big Horns and don't look back.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
If that gun is all original and hasn't been refinished it has value as a collector. In my neck of the woods, a deluxe model 71 goes for around $3,500 at auction. Yours may be worth more if its in very good condition. I've seen several sell for $3,000 - $3,500 at auctions.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
If it is in mint condition and never been fired I would find someone with a lot of money then you could afford to buy more toys. Big Grin
If you shoot it you may have just devalued your gold mine. Eeker

JMHO

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, this rifle is nice but it has been fired. Just don't think it's been hunted with. And thats the quandry. I could baby it along and maybe stand hunt whitetails with it or something of the like. Elk hunting would be out just because that kind of hunting is tough on guns. I doubt I'd ever sell it, and I suppose my kids will end up with it some day and then it will be theirs to worry about. But since it does have some value I will probably try to keep it in the condition its in.

Center of the Nation Outfitters

Posts: 39 | Location: Gillette Wy. | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
If you inhereted it, there must be some intrinsic value? Those are hard to come by and $3K come and go. I'd hang on to it and pass it down the line.

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou has it exactly right. I have a 71 sitting in the safe that couldn't be bought for any amount of money. Family is family and guns are guns, but guns from family are something far different! Money comes and goes but family is forever. Keep it, shoot it, love it and cherish it. Greg

Posts: 115 | Location: Woodlawn Tennessee | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote