New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin 1895 - 45-70 Recoil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think you'll be hard pressed to get that velocity out of a 44 mag. There are other good choices as well less powerfull than the 35 Remington includeing the 1894 in 45 colt and the 336 Cowboy in 38-55. I've been kicking around the idea of one of the 38-55's but I really like the 1894 frame. I've always found the 44 to be a great brush gun but it has it's limits. The 38-55 will give you more distance plus its a nice round with some history and great for cast bullets.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of 300 grain bullets in my Marlin 11895SS. The recoil seems about equal to what I get out of my .300 magnums. I load the 300 grain Remington HP's to 2090 fps. The recoil goes up exponentially with 400 grain bullets at about 1850 fps. The best move I made with the Marlin was to have a Pachmayer Decelerator pad installed. There is much less dicomfort when shooting any load since this was done.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

What bullet are they using? I'm more worried about the bullet holding together, than more velocity. Garret keeps his loads to about 1850fps in the 400 cast loads, for reliablity issues. My brother would just be using this gun for fishing the rivers around Nome. Lots of Bears, probably won't ever get charged, but a gun on your hip is really only there for confidence, not really for dispatching Bears. The 45-70 guide gun would be alot better alternative. I just want to use a bullet that will expand, but penetrate as well.

Cast bullets are great penetrators, but they work best if shot into bone, not much expansion. Maybe they would be best...

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Swifts are difficult to get and very costly just over the border in Kanada; they are super folks though, I called their service number and one of their executives called me back and spent quite some time with me on the phone on their dime, I was impressed. The one problem with them is that they will NOT take the hotter loads thhat the Kodiak or cast bullets will and I find that pressure signs occur suddenly. I do not have pressure testing equipment,so, I quit right there and back down 1.5 grs. for shooting loads.

I would be inclined to choose the North Fork 405gr. for Grizzlies, again they are difficult to get here, but, I am going to find a way. I think that their construction technique lends itelf to both high velocity and deep penetration with moderate expansion, qualities that I prefer in any big game or defensive bullet.

I have been in at the death of enough bears that I prefer a shot to the center of mass, not to bone, as this will disrupt both breathing and stop blood flow to the brain. IMO, this is the best way to shut down a big bear so he can do the least damage to a human. I am a firm believer in cautious, conservative methods of dealing with wilderness emergencies, after more than 40 yrs., I have not had a serious bear attack, although I have had many confrontations. This is also why I think that the 45-70 is such a tremendous cartridge, it's like the .30-06, the .375H&H, the 9.3x74 and the .450Nitro, IMO, it is just big enough to do what is needed without being overkill....a great American invention!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Kutenay,

I didn't even think about Swift A-Frame bullets. Those would be just the ticket, and easy to get. He's down here Deer hunting right now, but when he goes back I suspect he'll be getting one. I might sell off another rifle to make room for another 45-70, just so I can work up loads for him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JBabcock,
Im doing pretty good, blessed.

Well I think the 45-70 is a little more in the recoil dept. than I am looking for. I just want a lever gun for short range work on whitetales. (and the 30-30 is just too boring ) I am also looking at the Marlin 1894 in 44mag. From what I have been reading it looks like it will spit out 240gr bullets at 1760 fps. That's about what my muzzle loader was doing with 100grs of FFg Goex. So I know that load will kill just fine.

The 35 Remington is also a choice I guess. I think the 44 might be more fun to shoot though. ??

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember, you control the beast and the 45-70 doesn't have to kill on both ends. However, it will NEVER be as handy as an 1894 in .44 magnum for walking the deer woods. I don't own the latter, but they are surely a handy gun. I don't find the 1895 to be a chore to carry though, it goes about 8 pounds. If loaded down to sane levels......no deer can withstand anything from a 45-70...it isn't bad at all. My favorite load is reasonable and accurate: 41.5 grains RL7 under a cast RCBS 405. Easy on you and hard on critters.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote