THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    When did Marlin quit porting barrels on big bores
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did Marlin quit porting barrels on big bores
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted
Does anyone know when Marlin quit porting the barrels on their 45-70's and .450's?

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
As far as I can recollect, they only ported the 1895M guide gun in 450. Last specimens I have seen still had porting. The 1895G in 45-70 was not ported. Also keep in mind, the porting is designed to keep the muzzle down, not reduce recoil.

Good Luck and happy thumping,
John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Yea, I wasnt sure if they did it on the 45-70 but i know they did on the 450. The reason I ask is that my friend just ordered one"new in box" and it had a ported barrel. I told him they hadn't made those in a couple of years. Marlins website shows them non-ported.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2005 catalog also shows them unported.

No, they haven't made them that way in a couple of years.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I wonder if I send mine back if they would unport it....

The last new 1895M I saw come in was ported, and you are right the webiste doesn't indicate porting. Go figure...

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The 1895G, 1895M and 444P were all ported when introduced. In 2002, the porting was dropped on 1895s. The 444P was dropped soon thereafter.

Marlin will change out your ported barrel for an unported one for about $135.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1895G 45-70 was purchased 2 years ago and does not have a ported barrel. It was ordered by my gunshop for me since the shop didn't stock them. He started keeping a few in stock and the ones he has ordered recently, whithin the last 2 months, have all had ported barrels. 45-70 and 450 marlin. And they all came from the same distributer so it shouldn't be a matter of old stock sitting in a warehouse

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1895G, circa 1998, is ported and I wish it wasn't. I suspect that most Guide Gun users settle on the factory 300 @ 1700 fps express load which does not need the recoil reduction so Marlin reduced the risk of hearing loss ligitation by eliminating the ports. So, does anyone have any idea whether a 16-1/4 unported barrel is quieter than a 18-1/2 ported barrel?

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:
My 1895G, circa 1998, is ported and I wish it wasn't. I suspect that most Guide Gun users settle on the factory 300 @ 1700 fps express load which does not need the recoil reduction so Marlin reduced the risk of hearing loss ligitation by eliminating the ports. So, does anyone have any idea whether a 16-1/4 unported barrel is quieter than a 18-1/2 ported barrel?

If I had to guess I would say yes. I don't think the two inches would make a difference.