Find
Notify
Tools

New Winchester 1873s
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
If anyone has one of these, in the 24 inch barreled, sporting rifle model, I would appreciate some info.

How long is the barrel to just behind the magazine dovetail? It looks to be 4 or 5 inches back from the muzzle, but I would be grateful for the actual barrel length measurement.

Also, is there any other dovetail farther back, at the fore end cap, or under the fore end, fixing the magazine to the barrel?

I want to modify one of these to make a 20 inch or so barreled, button magazine variant. And maybe shorten the fore end a bit while doing so.

I'm thinking "Hombre" - if you get my meaning.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have converted Uberti 73s to 20 inch barrels; and, like original 73s, there is a dovetail that holds the fore end cap lug on. That needs to be there to hold the fore end cap on, not the magazine. There is no other DT other than the magazine ring one you can see.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The folks at Turnbull told me that the forward magazine hanger on the 24 inch octagon barreled new Italian Winchester Model 1873s is, in fact, soldered in place, rather than dovetailed. Very helpful. I am thinking of buying a Turnbull modified Italian Winchester. Has anyone had any experiences with these Italian Winchesters? Good, bad or ugly?

I will have them color case harden the receiver, rust blue all else and cut the full length magazine down to a button magazine, with a half octagon, half round barrel profile.

I think this would make a great shooter.

Thoughts?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just found out that my assumption about the maker of the new Winchesters was mistaken.

They are made in Japan by Miroku, and are of better fit, finish and overall quality than the Italian (Uberti) made versions.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
If made by Miroku, they should be of good quality and finish.
That is true of all the Miroku-made rifles and shotguns that I have.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
What kind of price are they asking? I have my eye on 2 original 73's, 1881 + 1885 mfg.in the $2000.00 + - range. One oct. + one rnd.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bud's shows the new Miroku 1873 anywhere from $1,000-$1,400 depending on what you want.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It makes no difference what the condition or quality of the rifle going to Turnbull is, it will come back to you as perfection personified..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that Ray. I was talking to them last month on doing my C96 Mauser (broom).Unfortunately they do not do Mausers. Any ideas on anyone else that does their quality of work?I've got this old jewel in a case w/ shoulder stock,cleaning tools,stripper clips,etc. Still in the original 7.63 chambering.I would love to make her pristine again. I have a friend that does ivory.If you're gonna go go all the way.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC, they want $2,500 for the base stock model. That's with their color case hardening, rust and charcoal bluing, and oil finished stock with the old Winchester red shading.

My modifications add $800 to that. I ordered it!

In .44-40, of course.

I'll post photos when it arrives.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,looking forward to your pics.I have few Winchesters that would benefit by Turnbull although tey are still in great shape.I would like a restoration done on my C96 as well as my 2nd. model S+W in 45 L.C. W/ lend lease stamps.There should be at least one reputable firm out there that maybe does Doug's quality of work. If not ,then here is a window for some bright,talented young entrepenuer. The market is there. I built custom rifles in the early 80's. I can't see that well anymore,but I guarantee you that if one had a young fireball to do the work then that would be a great business to invest in. Think about it.Ground floor;on items that Doug does not deal with.Really now,how many S+W hand ejectors + Colt New Services are out there + requiring an upgrade?One would not be in anyway in competition with Doug but would fill a niche currently unavailable.There is money to be made here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC, I have heard that the issue with the metallurgy of some makes and models is that the color case-hardening process can warp the piece (i.e., action, frame, etc.) being hardened, and thereby ruin it entirely. I understand that is true of some Mausers in particular.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,for my C 96 I had no intention on having it case hardened,just back to as original as possible. I understand the potential metalurgical risks involved. His work is quality enough that it does not affect the resale value (at least not much,like some others) + although I never intend to sell.....well we have all been there.