THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Need Williams FP-94/375 for Model 94BB
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Williams FP-94/375 for Model 94BB
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,

I have two Model 94 Big Bore rifles that I would like to find Williams peep sights for. Problem is, the sights I need, Williams FP-94/375, have been discontinued. I have had searches saved on Gunbroker and Ebay for years, but so far no luck.

I would appreciate any ideas you can come up with on finding these sights. Maybe a business somewhere that deals in older parts?

Thank You!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just scrolled a little father, and found the classifieds. So that's covered now as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked into a modification or a grip peep that can be had from Buffalo Arms Co. the have Marble, Redfield, Red River,Smith,:Pedersol,and Balwin to name a few. 208-263-6953. A great catalog of a lot of stuff//

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As the owner of one 94 in 375W, can I urge you to look for something more substantial?

The Lyman 66 receiver sight's cross-arm on mine got bent down when my teenage son fell over with it, and that was made of steel. IIRC the Williams sights are aluminum.

I would now prefer something more solid, like the Skinner sight.

Posts: 4967 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Williams sights are aluminium alloy but their cross arms are much more substantially constructed compared to the flimsy cross arm of the Lyman unit.

If you can’t find any sights you can easily modify a Williams base to fit. Carefully file the base so it fits around the rear hump of the 94BB. Just buy a side mounted Williams that fits a regular Win 1894.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your replies, I'm going to look into those companies.

We can be pretty rough on our guns. Taking a closer look at the design of the Williams I see how that could bend/break.

I have replaced my regular rear sight blade with a a peep sight, but I find that combination very distracting because of the way it looks with my front sight hood. I am considering removing the hood because of it. Ideally, however, I will find a good sight I can mount further back.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I don't recommend a tang sight.

I've got one on my M86 .45-70 and though it looks the part is a PITA to use (or not to use). It sits right where my thumb would like to be. When I shoot with my thumb behind it, it bites the web of my hand. If I put the thumb alongside, as must be done when the sight is folded, the unchequered grip is barely enough to hold against recoil.

Recoil? That's what knocks the peep post forward with my stiffer reloads, even though I turned the flat spring over as suggested online. Working the action stands it up again but will also turn the elevation ferrule if there's any lateral offset. Finally, if I wind the sight up for long shots, it won't fold down in front of the comb.

Some of these problems may not be a worry on the 94, of course.

Posts: 4967 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at the X-S / Ashley Outdoors peep sight. You would need to D&T the top of the action to fit the sight but they are probably the strongest peep sight out there.

They are not as convenient to adjust but if you only plan to use one load it is an option worth looking at. It sits a little higher so you will need to change the front sight as well.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
So that's what AO stood for? I keep one in the hard case for my Sako 338, in case the Hensoldt Diavari and emergency Supra 1.5-6x 'variabel' both let me down somehow (though I trust them more than anything you can buy new now).

And yes, I think they make a good, solid peep sight.