THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Wanted to buy original 1873 Winchester. Thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted to buy original 1873 Winchester. Thoughts?
 Login/Join

Picture of KF3CW
posted
Hello group,
Don't know if this is appropriate (if not please delete) I have purchased 2 - original 1873 Winchester's in the past. One from Gun Broker, the other from a gun selling site. In both cases I have been told I paid way too much for the condition they were in. As someone recently told me, some of these sellers are just waiting for "a sucker like you" to come along. Any experience out there as to where to go for an original in very good condition at a fair price. BTW, the guy on Gun Broker had a very good reputation. Thanks for any advice.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have never bought an original 73. Frankly, I don't know enough about what to look for to keep from getting screwed. There are many fakes and non original guns out there. I prefer to buy something I can shoot (New Winchester or Uberti) at a fraction of the cost and the knowledge the steel is better and it will fire. Hat's off to you if you buy the originals, just too much risk for me.
As for buying too high.... that is a personal decision. If you want it and have the money, it is your decision.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never see the ones made now much. The originals live in safes and trolls take then to gun shows with big price tags on them.
I would love to have one new or old.

Posts: 2669 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My recommendation is look at Leroy Merz web site.
Most say his prices are to high , but it gives you a reference point.
Also make sure and get a steel frame 73, the 1st ones were iron and should not be shot,
1892s come in the same calibers but are much better to shoot !...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
As a former Winchester man, I would suggest Googling the major auctions (RIA, Julia, Amoskeag) and search Winchester 1873. (Be prepared for a lot of examples). You will then see rifles with the features you have, condition, and an estimated selling price. The, set up an account and click on prices realized, and you will get an accurate idea of value. You will also see rifles that will turn up on Merz's site with a markup.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote