New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin Talk board shut down
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not real happy to see MT go away. It is good to see so many refugees here and even at jesseshuntingpage.com. I hope we can all rally around and get back into the swing of things. What a shock to just get my internet connection problems resolved and then lose MT great week.

I get the reasoning a little but it seems like there could have been more warning, especially considering things like this don't just happen over night...that's the bad taste I have. Otherwise I am sad that I can't go to a great place to seee all the great people I got to know over the last 3 years.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Riflemanz we need some more WI guys at Greybeards stop in and see us there also.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/index.php Not trying to take away anyone here but greybeards like the 24 hour campfire has opened a Marlin and a NEF area for us transplanted MT folks. Jim

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We noted that ��Marlin Talk�� was cancelled because of ��technical and administrative considerations��. As you all know, Marlin pays to have our website �� including ��Marlin Talk�� �� on the Internet. It is, therefore, a company sponsored feature. This makes Marlin responsible for what appears on the site. As you know, many statements, questions and recommendations appear on the site that may be factually wrong, provide dangerous information, or contradict Marlin safety instructions. Ideally, ��Marlin Talk�� entries that we disagree with or are just plain incorrect, should be answered by Marlin at the site in a timely manner.

This task simply cannot be done because of lack of personnel �� thus it is truly an ��administrative�� problem. To continue with ��Marlin Talk��, leaving these concerns, questions, and issues unanswered, is a situation that we do not consider acceptable.

To allow former ��Marlin Talk�� members the opportunity to retrieve e-mail addresses or download listed posts we are opening ��Marlin Talk��, without the ability for users to post, until February 20, 2004.

We apologize for any inconvenience that the discontinuance of ��Marlin Talk�� causes you, but due to a wide variety of issues we have no alternative choice.

--------------------

Ed Chabot

The Marlin Firearms Co.

------------------------

My response:

A) I can kind of understand your assessment of 'cost' but because of your site but I know 6 people who have purchased new Marlins here in Omaha after viewing your site...

B) There are many, many sites such as Marlin Talk with identical formats AND respondents. They've been around a lot longer than Marlin talk.

THESE SITES ARE NOT UNDER ANY LEGAL SIEGE....so how does Marlin figure that MARLIN is under legal siege? So Marlin...your rational is a weak!

Tell me Marlin, how does a company which is as you 'IMPLY' having money troubles have the money to purchased New England Firearms? Guess what if you make a few of those model's in stainless watch your sales go up...of course your decision makers have examined S&W's success with stainless developement...probably not!

The one difference with Marlin's site vs others: other's have a moderator who study's posting and determines whether contents are crediable or not and the moderator has the right and the obligation to remove balder dash and virulent conversation.

One site which comes to mind that seems to allow some virulent conversation is Accurate Reloading Forums, even so they are not under legal siege!

If you -Marlin- were to add up the posting's on YOUR SITE, MARLIN...I am confident it would be near the 100,000 mark: 94,428 at the time of DEMISE...not counting those who are not members who read your site!

The fact is maybe more than 200,000 view your site and as a result a rifle or two is sold...but see, you don't know that the site doesn't work and ya know what Marlin:

that's YOUR fault!

Tell me, provide me with one source that provides John Q public with as much unbiased information about your product as Marlin Talk...come on name just one, JUST ONE!

By the way...these decision makers who are involved with the demise of Marlin talk, were they also involved with the design, development, production, sales and DEMISE OF YOUR FINE MR7 rifle, because they are a real bunch of idiots! Marlin all you had to do was ask US via MARLIN TALK about a new rifle design AND IT WOULD NOT HAVE COST YOU NEARLY A HUNDRED GRAND!

All your eggs are in one basket and these decision makers are 'cracked' eggs!

This was sent to Ed...who most likely has no control over what stay's-what goes...and it's too bad those 'decision maker's don't go!

I called requested to speak to those involved with the demise of MT and to challenge their decision: for them to substantiate their decision with FACTS...all I got was voice mail and leave a message...

Of course on more than one occassion I told many posters that they were talking INTO the wind trying to suggest ideas for Marlin. After all...bean counters control business and they don't know a f.... thing about quality, products, what is wanted, what is not wanted...etc..these bean counters don't give a crap about crap getting out the door as attested to by many posters getting new rifles thkat have to be sent back to be fixed! When I worked at a factory -nearly 20 years- and Peter Kiewit and Rupert Murdoch were dickering on buying the company the FIRST depart to get skeletonized was the Quality Control department. This led me to believe they did not give a horse dung about QUALITY only QUANTITITY...

This concept of Quantity preceeding Quality may infact be influencing the demise of Marlin Talk.

There is an old saying WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

AKA: Don't Know..

Posts: 1820 | Location: USA, Omaha, Nebr | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beltloop,
I really enjoyed Marlin Talk although I lurked most of the time. I bought a new 444ss from the information I gleaned from their site. I am very sorry to see them go.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin along with Ruger is one of the few Americam Firearms companies that still manufactures, in America, quality guns in new styles and designs that are inspired by cusomers requests. Marlin has always stood behind their firearms. I for one hold no grudge against them.
They provided us with a service that went far beyond what any other firearm manufacturor has done or ever will do, and for that I am thankful. Thankful for the time that Marlin Talk was available.

ED Chabot of Marlin helped anyone who had a legitimate problem on the forum.

I love my Marlins and will continue supporting a quality American Firearms Company that cares about its customers and makes a damn fine bunch of firearms!!

I liked Marlin Talk, but I am not about to turn my back on a great American Firearms Company because they cancelled it - NO matter how it was done. Could they have done it in a better way? No. They are letting us go get email addresses and info, we just can't post. Seems fair to me.

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote