New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chiappa 1886 Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody own one of these? How is fit, finish, accuracy, etc. I think that Doug Turnbull may be using these as a platform for his new 1886 repros. Doug, if you happen to read this, can you chime in?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Currently they are not available. I ordered one of the Turnbull 1886's based on this action around labor day of last year. Turnbull's has been unable to start it because they are still awaiting parts from Chiappa. Expected delivery date now is now February/March.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Davidson is listing 3 of the Puma versions in stock, in the 26 inch barrel wood versions. They seem to be trickling in, I've been keeping an eye on them but I havent seen one in person, so I'm afraid to pull the trigger.

They are also listing some of the stainless Chiappa with the short barrel etc. in stock I'm not interested in these myself but they seem to be more available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you know what parts in the turnbull rifles are chiappa parts?

Posts: 97 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 06 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Does it really make a difference that Italian parts may be used in Turnbull’s guns? I wouldn’t care. How about you?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turnbull was probably finding it harder to come up with the Browning replicas of the '86 and as most know it was mfg. in Japan. Based on my experience with Turnbull the product would have to meet a high quality standard or he would not use it. Noted that Turnbull's ad states the parts are interchangeable with the original Winchesters and not using the newly mfg. Winchesters he does not have to remove the tang safety/trigger set up. From the photos they seem to be a very handsome rifle, but will just stay with my Brownings.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK................

We have used USRAC and Browning rifles and are now going with the Chiappa rifle that we worked with them to reverse engineer.

I have been using the Chiappa base for our 1886 of a run that we did in may June 2011 that is a true copy of the originals.

I had about 10 last year as the first run and to determine how I wanted them to come in for future runs. Now I am waiting for them, They said in Oct then Nov then Dec. now there aere as I am told in Dayton Ohio and will be ready to go out to me later this month.

We ordered them in different stages of manufacturing so that we can fit the parts and not have parts that have been tumble polished so we have greater control of what we can and cant do to the parts. Example the bolts only off the machine and not tumbled, the wood is not fit there so we can fit and sand it the way we want. The barrel polished to a lesser degree so we can take it from there and do final prep for rust blueing. The wood comes in as standard grade and we have a local CNC shop making the high grade wood both with shotgun and rifle butt, as the cost to ship our wood there and back is higher than the ciost to turn our own here.

The first parts need some work and feel that the new set should make the work easier to fit and finish to the same look as the originals.

I am just as frustrated as the rest and hope they come in real soon.
I will then determine how many i will be ordering for subsaquent orders and try to get a better flow going as we work forward.

let you know when they come in if i remember to get back on here.

Doug

I tend to use more than enough gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation of your process. You have helped me decide of the direction to go.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, as always the product you deliver is well worth the wait. I am happy to wait until the supplier gets you the correct parts. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug is too modest. He had a lot of input as far as getting these close enough to the originals in terms of quality that he would build using them.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Turnbull:
OK................

We have used USRAC and Browning rifles and are now going with the Chiappa rifle that we worked with them to reverse engineer.

I have been using the Chiappa base for our 1886 of a run that we did in may June 2011 that is a true copy of the originals.

I had about 10 last year as the first run and to determine how I wanted them to come in for future runs. Now I am waiting for them, They said in Oct then Nov then Dec. now there aere as I am told in Dayton Ohio and will be ready to go out to me later this month.

We ordered them in different stages of manufacturing so that we can fit the parts and not have parts that have been tumble polished so we have greater control of what we can and cant do to the parts. Example the bolts only off the machine and not tumbled, the wood is not fit there so we can fit and sand it the way we want. The barrel polished to a lesser degree so we can take it from there and do final prep for rust blueing. The wood comes in as standard grade and we have a local CNC shop making the high grade wood both with shotgun and rifle butt, as the cost to ship our wood there and back is higher than the ciost to turn our own here.

The first parts need some work and feel that the new set should make the work easier to fit and finish to the same look as the originals.

I am just as frustrated as the rest and hope they come in real soon.
I will then determine how many i will be ordering for subsaquent orders and try to get a better flow going as we work forward.

let you know when they come in if i remember to get back on here.

Doug

Thank you for that Doug. I too had called your shop and talked with one of your guys last year who had said that you were expecting them to start flowing around the end of the year.

While I am sure that this is rigoursly done by you, and the reverse engineer process had to be done to keep your prodcut standards, as well as you, and us happy Wink, could you comment on any of the specifics of the internals just a bit compared to say the Browning last used. Too bad I dont have an original Win 1886 right here in the safe to use.

Are there differences in materials? Better? The heat treats different? Or is all of that final work and fitting done by Turnbull and no real changes, only just moving to a new supplier for the platform.

While it does not influence my decision it would be interesting to know. Don't comment too long - keep working Smiler

Thank you for your time and your work .

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF I was goign to build a hard hunting and one that was to be loaded right up there I would buy a Browning 86 or 71 and us that for my platform. Couple of items, one the small fireing pin like a 71, two is the coil main spring, but the fire pin needs to be converted to a solid one.
My 475 is an orginal 1887 model and I have had no issues with that gun as is at all just some little things that could be improved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well we finally got them in from Chiappa. All the parts look good, and we are starting to do the assembly and final fitting of the parts.

We have a couple done and are really happy with how they are turning out.

Try to get some pictures together for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very good, thanks for the update!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote