THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    In need of a good Lever Action..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In need of a good Lever Action..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be going on a Mountain Lion Hunt next year, and I want to use a Lever action in 30-30.
Here's the problem. I know NOTHING about lever action rifles. Brands, makes, age, used, new.
Any information is much appreciated as I learn this new type of rifle.
Thanks,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned Winchester and Marlin rifles in 30/30 and 44 Mag, and Marlins in 45/70.

Both of them are good guns. handle both, and shoot them if you can.

Pick the one you like the best.

My favorite 30/30 lever was a Winchester Trapper with a 16" bbl.

The lever I most use is a Winchester Trapper in 44 Mag.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
a trapper version in the winchester or one of the Davidson's 16 1/2 inch barrel runs would be a bit lighter and easier to chase dogs with.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never had a marlin, so I don't know how they shoot or handle. I always shot 94 since thats all I grew up with as far as lever actions go. I go winchester 94 AE which stands for angle eject. Which means you could mount a scope on top instead of on the side if you prefer a scope. Or you could mount a peep sight if you wanted. You just have to take a looksy at what you could find.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.
GREAT advice. I really appreciate it.
If I was to look at a used gun, would it be important to by one pre-64, which I presume is 1964 manufacture date.
Thanks,
W.

one of us
posted Hide Post
pre 64 winchester 94's were hand assembled and use machined parts instead of cast parts. They are better built and function smoother than post 64 guns. The winchesters in the 80's went to angle eject for the ability to mount a scope. These are a bit better than post 64's in quality of manufacture but still not as well made as a pre 64. The question is -- how much is the quality difference to you and what are you willing to pay for it? In a hunting gun, a well worn in used gun at a reasonable price would be the way I would go as chasing through the brush behind dogs chasing cats is a shure recipe for 'beat marks' on a collector gun. At least, it is for me homer

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have probably used every model of Winchester lever ever made except the 66 and liked them all from my first (a 32-20 73) to my current 95 30/40 military carbine (new model). I have used all the Marlins from the 95 on and all the Savages and Brownings. For your use I would probably use a 92 in 44mag and be well equipped. Any of the replica brands would be good.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
pre 64 winchester 94's were hand assembled and use machined parts instead of cast parts. They are better built and function smoother than post 64 guns. The winchesters in the 80's went to angle eject for the ability to mount a scope. These are a bit better than post 64's in quality of manufacture but still not as well made as a pre 64. The question is -- how much is the quality difference to you and what are you willing to pay for it? In a hunting gun, a well worn in used gun at a reasonable price would be the way I would go as chasing through the brush behind dogs chasing cats is a shure recipe for 'beat marks' on a collector gun. At least, it is for me homer

the important cast part on a post'64 is the receiver.

However the Angle Eject '94's swiched back to forged steel

Personally I think winchester pricing is still kinda rediculous in most areas.

And frankly I think the MArlin is a better rifle as a hunting tool, it is simpler and much smoother in operation

I own both I like the history of the winchester, but when I carry one into the woods it's a Marlin.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not forget the new Mossburg 30-30
I have not used one but they got good reviews.
They cost less too!

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I swapped a 1953 Mannlicher Schoenauer with a double set trigger in 30-06 (with a trigger system I couldn't get used to & couldn't hit any target with ) for a new marlin xlr 45-70 from my ffl dealer.I had a 45-70 schuetzen rifle in the 1970's that was way to heavy to carry except to bench shooting matches.The marlin has a 3x9x40 leupold scope which allows proper eye relief and is accurate enough for the type of use I plan for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
nothing wrong with a Marlin. I generally hunt with a Marlin also. I do agree the cast parts in the post 64 are the biggest difference. The cast reciever for finish and the sheet metal carrier for function. The davidson's short run of marlin 336's in 30-30 with 16 1/2 barrels in stainless/laminate would be nice if cost were no option. But a beater 30-30 bought used would work just as well for busting through thick cover chasing dogs with a shot at a cat measured in feet instead of yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a cougar a few years ago and I might recommend a 44 mag with 240 gr solid points. The range will be very close. Lots of tough muscle to go through. Low power scope or open sights.
I am sure the 3030 will also do well.
My choice of guns would be the Marlin.
Also consider a revolver especially if you will be hunting with dogs. John

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've owned alot of lever guns, my favorites are Marlins, particularly the vintage models. Only have one 30-30 now, a pre-war 1936, smooth as silk and exceptionally accurate.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had both Winchester and Marlin, currently I have a Marlin XLR in 3030, a guide gun in 45-70 and a winchester in 44mag, All are fine guns, try them both and buy the one that feels right. Since Winchester has stopped production you may find that Marlin's are more available.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider the Browning BLR in .308 or 358 Winchester chambering. I realize they are not 30/30's. But they are better rounds for any use than the 30/30.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
You might want to consider the Browning BLR in .308...

Good point, El. By choosing a BLR (or a Savage 99) in 308 a fella can have a levergun with reach that might come in handy on other hunts. Then, when the game will be up close he can reduce it to possession with the Remington Managed Recoil or Federal Low Recoil loads, which turn a 308 into a 30/30.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be getting an old winchester saddle ring carbine. Then braid a pice of leather around the saddle ring.
The new ones are fine, but an origional would be the way to go for me.
They are smooth and acurate and a very good investment...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a 44 Mag would be a great cat gun as well.

As to the Marlin, all the ones I have owned and or shot have been excellent.

Since the Winchester is out of production a Marlin would be an excellent choice.

As to the 308 Levers. The 308 is one of my favorite cartridges. I have almost boiuuight a Browning or a Savage many, many times...

However I could just noot bring myselt to do it because they are heavier and not as accurate as the Remington Model 7's in 308 that I was using at the time...

However for a lever action freek they would be a good choice, but for a fast actioned cat hunt, a 30/30 or a 44 Mag would be hard to beat.

A Marlin 45/70 Guide Gun would be a great choice as well.

But if you have your heart set on a 30/30, either a Winchester or a Marlin will work perfect.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 94AE in .30/30 for sale if you are interested. It's in great shape and with the new Hornady LeveReveloution bullets, it is a 200 yard gun. $350 plus shipping?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THanks guys.
I appreciate all your help.
My outfitter recomends the 30-30.
Thanks again,
W.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
My outfitter recomends the 30-30.

So you're buying a levergun for one hunt?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am buying this lever gun for this hunt.
W.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Woodsie:

Buy a Marlin. They are way better guns than ANY Winchester, pre or post 64. There were good Winchesters once, Model 71s, 1886s, etc., but no more. The Marlin flat top receiver is a big plus too. It makes mounting a scope a whole lot more simple if you are so inclined. My Marlin 30-30 that I have had for years sports a nice little 2.5 power Weaver scope. It shoots like it had eyes.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I am buying this lever gun for this hunt.
W.

Like none of us here have never bought a specific gun for one hunt. Roll Eyes rotflmo Big Grin

I am sure he can fine other used for it as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet most of the guys on here own guns they've never hunted with. I've got a half a dozen.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have said, you can't go wrong with either Marlin or Winchester. I'd recommend the Marlin for a few reasons:

1. Marlin has new rifles available. All winchesters would likely be used.
2. I like the Marlin receiver better for mounting a scope, should you choose to.
3. Marlin makes some models in stainless steel for rust resistance.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 30 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be going on a Mountain Lion Hunt next year, and I want to use a Lever action in 30-30.
Here's the problem. I know NOTHING about lever action rifles. Brands, makes, age, used, new.
Thanks,
W.
If you're successful getting a Felis concolor try the meat friend of mine in MT shot a cat that was treed and kept the meat he said it looked like pork and tasted like it both he and his wife enjoyed it.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
While not really mentioned here, you could also find a decent old Savage 99 in .30-30 if you are set on that caliber, or in .300 Savage or a more modern chambering. The Savages are a bit more money than the Winchesters and Marlins, but are really nice as well.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 11 levers, from Browning replicas of Winchesters to the real thing, plus Marlins and even a BLR. Still own five. Liked them all!

An older Marlin 336 RC would be my choice. I had a '49, '60, and '58 RC in .30-30 and they were accurate, smooth rifles. Still have an '50 336 A, with the 24" barrel, in .30-30 that I will never sell. Very easy to clean, by simply removing the lever and then the bolt.

Anywhere from $200 to $400 in good used condition, depending on caliber and model.

"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet. But have a plan on how to kill them." From an old Marine.

Posts: 81 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you get a Marlin, get a used pre-safety model. I despise that push button abomination on the side of the Marlin! ARRRG!

For weight considerations go with a good used Winchester.

For ease of scope mounting go with the Marlin or angle eject Winchester.

30-30 Caliber or 35 Remington

The Savage and Browning offerings are in another class of weapon by virtue of their caliber offerings. The BLR in .308 is just about the perfect general purpose deer rifle. Light-powerful and works up close to far off.

If you just have to have the "Best" then get a Winchester or Browning Model 71 in .348 Winchester. The power of the .348 on game animals is over whelming! The last of the great Big bore Winchesters!

Most important of all go enjoy the hunt!

Posts: 83 | Location: Saudi/Bahrain/Texas | Registered: 21 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
woodsie

A LOT of good info has been given, some of it by True Lever Action Freeks. Good Info..

However, for your hunt, ANY Marlin, or Winchester, Lever in 30/30 will knock a Cat out of a tree.

I would use 170gr bullets, most likely Federal Nosler Partitions.... But in truth any Factory 170gr bullet would get the job done.

Enjoy your hunt.

Let us know how it turns out.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If you want to use a scope then get a Marlin of a 94 AE, but if you are planning on using iron sights, either open or peep, then nothing carries better than a top eject 94 IMHO.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
One of my former best friends was a damned fine lion guide for many years in Arizona...may still be (Floyd Frank Green of Phoenix). The distances at which his clients shot lions were generally measured from the ground up to the limb the lion was on in the next tree or on the next ledge....in other words, maybe 10-15 yards on average.

ANY 30-30 is plenty for that kind of shooting. As for a scope sight? Just in the way at that close of a range. Any old Mossberg, Marlin 1893, 36, 1936, 336, so on will do fine. So will any Winchester 64, 94, etc. To be honest, I'd look for a beater at around $250 or less. I'm not sure you can beat up a lever gun badly enough to miss a lion at 15 yards!

Just be sure to try and shoot the lion where it will die before it hits the ground. No sense letting it tear some big rips in the dogs' bellies....

Floyd's sometimes partner killed one with a hunting knife!! Floyd had shot at it with a .41 Mag pistol when the lion and Floyd were both inside a cave, but somehow did not kill it. It pursued Floyd out the door of the cave and his partner, standing outside the door, threw his knife and stuck it up to the hilt through the Lion's ribs. One dead lion, DRT.

Anyway, you don't need a bigger cartridge than the .30-30 for lion hunting with dogs, but you do need lots of physical endurance, some good mules, well-trained dogs, and a competent guide...if you don't have the knowedge/gear to do it all yourself, you need to make sure you hire that stuff.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a puma 92 in 454 casull.

my 336 marlin in 35 remington is one of my favorites.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why a 30-30??? I have a .450 Marlin Lever. It has taken two bears and one deer, each with a single shot, dropping the animal at the location. No searching for the kill! I use the 350 grain Hornady Soft Nose bullets loaded with 51 grains of IMR 3031. This rifle is ridiculously accurate at the range at the 100 yards, with the bullets holes touching each other. It has a little recoil, but if you shoulder it properly, even me (135lbs female) has no problems with it.

Good Luck
quote:
Thanks,
W.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
woodsie:

If your outfitter insists on a 30-30 and it's for this one hunt, then so be it. Frankly it sounds to me like a hunt with hounds and the shot is at a cat in a tree or on a ledge. Obviously the 30-30 will be fine in those circumstances - so will a pistol. The posters all are giving you good advice. This quite old man (79) suggests that you heft Winchesters and Marlins (the lever working seems different to me) and go with what you feel comfortable with. OK, I'll at least offer my own preference - a Marlin and make it in 35 Rem. - no matter what the outfitter says. It will give you a rifle with a slightly wider range of use and with a little better punch than the 30-30. Buying a rifle for one hunt is limiting yourself - and you have a better argument for the spouse if you show you're being economical and looking ahead. Smiler (Just an opinion and I do love the 30-30 which was my first "big game" rifle and used for years on white tails)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
For years a .30-30 was the only rifle I had. It was a Marlin 336 and never let me down. Over the years I have gathered all sorts of rifles but I've never been without a .30-30, it is still one of my favorites.

In the past few years I picked up several model 94's in .30-30. My favorite was made in 1901, function is smoooth and it oozes character. Next favorite was made in the early 70's, also nice but not as smooth. Then I got an AE, that thing is a rattle trap. I honestly don't think you could hunt with it for fear of alerting animals before you could get within shooting distance. I recently picked up a '94 Big Bore in .375 Win, now that is both a nice cartridge and a nice rifle. None of the noise of the AE and pretty darn smooth functioning.

I suggest looking at the used racks at the local gun emporium and handling the various .30-30's they have. Buy the one that fits, carrys, and shoulders best. The best deal is likely to be a Marlin by a fair amount.

Sounds like a great hunt you have planned. Good luck!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
z1r

This quite old man (79) really liked your love note to the 30-30. Smiler Like you, I carried a 30-30 and hunted deer for years with it (when I was very young) (I never felt undergunned and if the deer didn't drop or collapse w3ithin a short distance - it was my fault of poor shooting - Plain fact as you and I both know.

My father carried a Savage 99 in 30-30 in the earliest days of the construction of the Panama Canal. ( He was there before a spade of dirt was turned over and used the rifle in the jungle when engineering surveys were needed to check on the French surveys) It was his Savage 99 (octagonal barrel,blade front sight)that I carried when I shot a fair number of deer in my teens and early 20s. Hail to the 30-30! Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 336C in .35 Remington.....great brush gun for very short money. If you use the Leverevolution ammo the ballistics are sweet out to 200 yds. and essentially identical to the 30-30 but with more energy.

Just a fun gun to shoot inside 100 yds. I refuse to scope it....just not that kind of gun.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote