Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 405 Winchester
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
I'd be most pleased to give him the bullets. I'd love know how well they do. The next casting session I'll knock out a 100 for him, get them sized and gas checked.
Does he have the cleaning gear to remove all of the copper fouling from his barrel?
The design of this bullet should knock the wind out of most any critter it hits.
If you wish I can be reached at arkypete@aol.com
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have found that the only way for me to see open sights clearly is to use a Merit iris disc with suction cup attached to my shooting glasses. You adjust this for the lighting conditions, opening up or closing the peep iris, and for me at least, it will sharpen up rear and front sights as well as the target. It is great for testing ammo from the bench but of course useless for hunting. It is handy for preliminary sighting in but you should confirm your "with-disc" alignment by taking the thing off and checking it with the fuzzy sights. Sometimes the disc allows you to take a "finer" bead than you normally do without it.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher,

Thanks for the information. I have been contemplating butchering my stock rear sight or simply making a new one. How much was the Marble sight, and where did you get it?

Thanks,
ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
arkypete,
Would you sell me a few of your cast bullets for the .405?
I have a friend in namibia who got a .405 there. It's an 1895 marked .405 win .405 express with a cordite load marked on it. I sent him dies , brass and some Horn bullets. I'd be curious to see how cast shoots in too. He's shot warthogs and kudu with it, he's still waiting to try it on eland.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For you guys who are having trouble with the factory buckhorn sights on the 95's I thought I'd throw this out here.

I've got a 95 in 405 that I bought year before last. I could shoot it pretty well with the factory sights but I wanted to see if I could get something that would ajust easier so I bought a Marble's adjustable sight that fits into the dovetail slot on the barrel. It has screw adjustments for windage and elevation and you can switch the little sight piece and use either a "V" notch or a rounded notch. I haven't quite decided how much I like it yet, but I atleast thought I'd put it out there as an alternative.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just checking the Marble's website myself and found a sight that I don't think they had when I order the folding leaf for my gun.

They now have a Folding Sporting Rear sight which is basically a windage adjustable folding buckhorn sight just like the factory sight, only you can adjust for windage using the screw which should be a hell of a lot better than having to drift it (which was extremely difficult on my 95). I don't know if it uses the factory ramp or not, but I'm assuming that it does. I sent Marble's an email to find out. If it does, I might just order me one and take off the folding leaf sight which looks a little goofy on my gun. Maybe I can sell the leaf sight on Ebay or something. I don't really have any other gun that it'll go on.

one of us
Picture of RLI
posted Hide Post
I believe Buffalo Arms sells a peep sight for the Winchester 1895 it is styled of the original Lyman sight used on the original 1895's
RLI

Posts: 276 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Marble's sight from Midway, I think it was like $30 or something. It's just a folding leaf sight. Unfortunately I can't pull up any gun websites at work because of the way they have the web access set up.

You can also look at it on Marble's website.

http://marblesoutdoors.com/sights/foldingleaf.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
They sure do RLI. I believe they call it a Model 21 or maybe that's the Lyman designation. Problem is Buffalo Arms wants $200+ for the thing. Thanks but no thanks.