New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most functional 45/70 ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In your opinion, what is the most useful/reliable/fuctional 45/70 lever action available?

Why?

Thanks, Jeff

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find one a LTD-V. Only 1000 made and I am one of the lucky owners. Mine is a sub minute gun and very smooth out of the box. I use it to shoot deer out to 300 yards with no problems. I just changed scopes from a VariX-III to a M8-3 and love it. Here it is in action during crop sniping if you have cable internet. The video turned out rough but it gets the point accross. Numerous offhand shots on deer at ranges past 200 yards. reflex264

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3433415096555745370&hl=en

Posts: 78 | Location: TN | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With or without a scope?? Without a scope-the 1886 Extra Light. With a scope I would go with the Marlin, Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Marlin Guide Gun....were I to get another one it would be in stainless.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Any of the Marlin levers in .45-70 are great guns. You just need to decide which one meets your needs.

The Winnie. 1886's are great guns too, but they are more expensive and harder to get your hands on one. I have an USRAC 1886 Delux Takedown model in .45-70n ad I love it. It's heavy and you can't mount a scope on it very easily. Originals in good shape get about 5-8K.

Good luck!

Cool

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
for me the marlin cowboy is most useful, followed closely by an 1886 rifle.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a standard 22 inch 1895.
I put a 1X4 leupold on it. Its very near MOA too. And a ton of fun.
The guide guns is good , too,If you get a newer one.
If you do lots of hiking and want to take the 45/70 along, the Guide is the way to go.
I am thinking of switching to a peep site for mine...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
LOVE my guide gun! Big Grin Just took it on safari, and shot 7 different head of plains game with it. I'll probably use it on anthing I hunt with a centerfire rifle.

MadDog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote