New
Find
Notify
Tools

New mount
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Location: Family Farm. More percisley, I was on a bench created by a reclaimed strip mine high wall. To my left was a saw birer and honeysuckle thicket ovell in shape reaching 6 feet to the ski and thicker then anything in India. You can not get in there until late October. I was set up on the far side 30 feet from the highwall that part was new tree growth and fairly open.
Whether: Mid November and 15 degrees. I was relatively comfortable except my eyes were exposed and it felt like the child around them was freezing.
Rifle and load: Winchester 405 Mariku and 300 grain spire point.
Hunt: Fairly uneventful, I made it through that before sun rise temperature drop and was watching the sun, which was two fields and a ridge line behind me, creeping down the highwall. I had heard nothing. It was the first cold morning and I had hopes. My plan was to give that zone until noon and then work into the wind. I had good wind for where I thought the deer would move from, but in that set deer can come from anywhere. It is always a gamble.
With no movement I was ready to start walking and warming up. I used my mouth to make a tending grunt.
I heard did not see three deer run to my right around the wall. Another deer broke into the thicket. I could only see the moving parts of it through the slivers of brier.
I came up to my knees rifle at ready and twisted around a tree. I gave a short grunt and then a tending grunt. I saw the deer turn around and come ruining half through the thicket. It stopped. I could see part of a thine and it licked it's nose.
I had cocked the rifle. Then the deer came bounding, not ruuning, but bounding over every inch of thicket. I slid the safety off. The sun was directly in my eyes and I could not see the site.
I thought he would stop when he got to the woodline. But he just veered to the left. He was going up and down and I was following up and down. At six feet away I said I was not going to let him pass without shooting so I did. I did not know it, but I centered the top lungs just off the shoulder blade.
I got the lever worked came around the tree. He was hard away from me still bounding. Now I could see the sight and caught him just beside the liver on the top of the stomach.
A piece of that bullet cut the bottom line of one lung. I watched hunch and the hit made him quit bounding. He died in full studs 30ish yards from that last shot.
I will save you the play by play of getting him off two ridges and two creeks. The last creek had 10 ft tall banks.
Thank you Mr. Biebs. Without you this report would not be possible.

Posts: 11361 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent !! tu2
Proving you don't have to take that long trip to Africa to get real action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said and well done! Always good to see that a hunter does not need a $3000 scope, shooting sticks, battery operated deer feeder, stand that has a heater and coffee machine, and a rifle that costs as much as a small car. Again, well done.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mete and Instructor:
Thank you, I like a expensive traveling hunt as much as the next guy. But no hunt should be too easy. We should pay some sweat equity for the m at we kill. Kentucky in the last few years started allowing feeders. I do not believe in them. I believe it is one of the bad eyes people talk about with non hunters that really resonates to the non hunter I speak to about it. And this people are not anti, they just feel there is something unfair about it. I happen to agree. But if legal each to his own.
I use sticks but give on the range and shots comming from anywhere aspect of this place the sticks would have been a hinderance. Sometimes you just have to stand up and shoot.
It as an honor to kill this deer. In addition to the broken thines; he had scars all over his neck and we found a broad head in but not through the shoulder blade. He was not really old, but a fighter. He ate well.

Posts: 11361 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lords and ladies:
Now and forever please forgive typos. I am using an iPhone and iPad and sometimes it just does not work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck, good story, and great rifle! Own the same rifle and used it on a bison last year. Made hunting exciting again to use something so "old school".

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun but I would prefer one in a 30-06 SRC carbine. I just recently my Win. 95 in 30-06..I loved that old gun..

Ive never been pleases with the 405, 45-70 as most deer and elk I shot and shot in the right spot just made too many tracks..I have some elk kills on film that allowed those elk to go a hell of a long ways, all shot with a Ruger no. 1 and warm handloads, it bothered me...Just my take.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and buck!
I love the 1895 .405 WCF and have a couple, a looker and a shooter:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I do not know where you are shooting those deer and elk, but my .405 has never had a critter get away after being shot;- a couple of examples:
My friend with a BIG bull water buffalo :

Cape buffalo in RSA:

South Texas Nilgai

And last, but not least, another BIG water buffalo cow that was attacking things (not DRT, but dead before it hit the ground- there were 4 witnesses):
http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento/blog/?p=204

Maybe you should try shooting larger critters?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote