Find
Notify
Tools

Re: This is a SERIOUS question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Martin:

My hunt for the Savage 99 in 250/3000 (rotary mag)is punishment for my stupidity in a gun deal as a know it all teenager. (I am and always have been the prime pigeon in a gun deal) I owned one when I was young (back when dinosaurs walked the earth). With a 100 gr. bullet, (factory loads always in those days) I killed 3 out of 3 white tail deer (and one shot was a real snap shot) Being not too bright, I saw another rifle I wanted (and I honestly don't remember what it was today)and traded the 99 away. Then I got interested in other kinds of rifle shooting and only after many years later did I try to find another Savage 99 in 250/3000. It was a pretty little gun and a cartridge that had good penetration for a relatively small cartridge. (I almost said "great" penetration but to be honest I think that's the 7mm Mauser,7x57)

I have always been with the idea of a BIG bullet. No one has ever persuaded me that the 9mm pistol cartridge is better in a fight than the 45 ACP. I still believe in the philosophy of the old joke about the African PH being asked why he carried the 600 NE (when that was the largest factory load). He replied : " Because that's the biggest I can get".

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote