THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: heavy 400 grain loads for marlin 45/70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: heavy 400 grain loads for marlin 45/70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ron,

If you interested in a moose load, then I would recommend the 300 Nosler partition. It can be pushed to 1850+ without much problem. I get .5" groups at 100 yards with my Marlin 1895CB 26" octagon barrel. Sighted 2" high at 100 yards, it is good out to 160 yards with no hold over needed. Beyond that and it drops quickly...

Also, you may want to look at Leadhead bullets. They have a 425 FN hard cast gas checked bullet that will do very well without much leading concerns. https://ssl.perfora.net/leadheadbullets.com/order.htm

I regularly load this round to about 1600 fps using IMR 3031. It can be pushed much higher.

As for pushing a 400 grain bullet to 2000+ fps, my question is why? What is magic about that combination? I am sure that it can be done, that in fact it has been done. I am also fairly certain that it is producing pressures that are excessive for the Marlin.

Regards,

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paper patched bullets need to be lubed or they will cause some wear. I use 50/50 beeswax and vaseline. After application it tends to migrate into the paper. I have had no indication of this affecting the powder charge, even after 6 mos. or more. I apply it with my fingers, a little bit goes a long way.

Last time I checked, cutting anything with a knife will dull it eventually. Not trying to be glib, but think you've been hearing old wives gossip. My rifle has survived over 650 rounds with no measurable wear. Paper that is opaque or glossy usually contains kaolin which is a clay like material. It should be avoided as it is HIGHLY abrasive. Use Onion Skin, some tracing papers, or dress pattern paper. Others may work as well. Some have had success with teflon tape, most do not. Perhaps it depends on what you define as success. Everything about it is wrong for the patching process.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote