Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lastofthebreed
posted
I need some information from some of you experts out there.

I just bought a Model 99 from a gentleman who no longer needed it. According to the Savage website it was manufactured in 1949. It is in the 250-3000 chambering and is in excellent condition. It has the fold down rear sight along with the Lyman tang aperture sight.

I has an original Weaver (El Paso) K4 scope in a mount I have never heard of, nor seen. The mount itself is identified as an Echo made by E.C. Herkne Inc., Boise Idaho.

In order to get the scope mounted the gunsmith apparently had to send the mount to Weaver. The the scope adjustment housing, along with the ocular lens, had to be removed in order to get the scope in the rings and then the scope had to be reassembled while mounted in the rings.

The mount has a base attached to the left side of the receiver with 3 screws. The mount can be attached and detached from the base by turning 2 thumb screws on the left side of the mount that lock the mount into corresponding slots on the base. It is very solidly made and quite good looking.

I would like to continue using this assembly but I have a problem. The K4 is in sad shape optically. The glass really needs polishing as you can barely see through it.

Does anyone know where I can send the scope to
be rebuilt? Remember, I will have to send it to whomever with the mount attached as I don’t want to take the scope apart to remove it from the rings.

Thanks for any help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weaver Scope Repair Service
1121 Larry Mahan, Suite B
El Paso, Texas 79925
(915) 593-1005

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas Nautical Repair
1927 Richmond Avenue
Houston, TX 77098

(713) 529-8480
http://takahashiamerica.com/catalog/

They do excellent work at reasonable cost. This is the repair service Zeiss-USA uses when they are backed up with repair work.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lastofthebreed
posted Hide Post
Found the folks at Iron Sight Inc. - reasonable price for the service.

Thanks for the help.