New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BLR '81 lightweight .358?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Blackhawk 44 you poor fellow. I can sense you are living in fear of the forends falling off.

Still you didn't pay much for them.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The old steel 81's get very loose in the forend as well.
JohnT

I have one of the old steel BLRs in .358 Win. Picked it up secondhand and it would not shoot worth a damn. I loosened up that foreend and now it shoots sub MOA with factory ammo. Sometimes, loose ain't so bad. There was just too much binding on the barrel so I free floated the barrel, which made the foreend loose. The rifle went from four and five inch patterns down to .75 to .90" groups. I figure that was a reasonable trade off. Neat rifle, and a good companion to my three other .358 Win. rifles.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My old pre 81 .358 shoots under one inch and it's forend is tight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My old pre 81 .358 shoots under one inch and it's forend is tight.

Mike. My problem was it was tight because it was binding on one side. When I free floated it, it ended up loose. I may try experimenting to see if I can keep it from rattling, but I won't give up those braggin' groups the rifle is giving me. The only rifle in .358 I have that outshoots it is my Svage 99. The two Ruger 77s don't come anywhere near the two lever guns. One, restocked with a McMillan does reasonably well, but the one Ruger that is still "strictly stock" is a bit of a dog. It just might end up on a table, someday. never can tell.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote