THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Y'all Help Me Decide - Which one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Y'all Help Me Decide - Which one?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been looking for something with a big hole in the end of the barrel for a while - just one of those "I Wanna" things. Due to an interesting trade, I find myself able to choose which Marlin in 45-70.

I am leaning toward the GS, but the Cowboy sure is pretty! Then there's the Classic. Do you think the longer bbl of the Cowboy/Classic adds enough practical velocity to be significant - as far as hunting/reloading goes?

I like the idea of the stainless gun, and its resistance to rust and corrosion, and the fact that it is listed a full pound lighter than the Cowboy (I know this isn't absolute).

Y'all give me some experience/opinions! Pleeese!

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the regular 22" marlin and maybe thats the compromise between the guide gun and the cowboy, I love it it shoots great. My other 45/70 is a real gem it's a new 1886 extra lite it really is a sweet gun.

Any way on my marlin I have a leupold compact 2.5x in warne fixed mounts it's ideal for a 45/70. Also try out the 405 gr woodleigh 45/70 bullet for your bigger stuff, it expands and hangs together very well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote