Find
Notify
Tools

got another one FOR FREE!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
A very close friend of mine gifted me a 1958 vintage Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. so now I got a new toy to play with!

In comparing it to the remlin 1895 I just got a few weeks ago, the bluing on the old Marlin is far superior to the crap blue job on the new 1895..

Haven't shot either one yet, so can't comment on performance... yet. but I will!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice. How about posting some pictures? Love those older Marlins.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I think you will find the old .35 is a gem!

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the 35 Rem!

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's a wonderful gift and a wonderful friend.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16524 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

It has a slip on rubber butt plate on it. When I took it off, I found that the original buttplate is missing!

So Now off on a quest for an original replacement buttplate.. (from what I've read, the repro's don't look that good nor do they fit that well, so I'll be scouring the local shops looking for one!

I'll get around to posting a pic eventually..

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Found an original buttplate, so the slip on rubber one is on its way to the dump.

I have a couple scopes laying around.. a pre-Monarch Nikon 3x9 and a nIB Conquest 3X9, but they both seem "too good" for this rifle.. plus I think I want something in the 1.5-2X 5 or 7

I'll have to think on it some more..

NRA Benefactor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

The Marlin 336 in 35 I had and the one a friend had amazed me with their accuracy. That 35 cal 200 gr bullet is a real thumper on whitetails at moderate ranges. It makes a big hole!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new acquisition! I wish I still had mine. But I just had to step up to a 358. Very enjoyable rifles. I love those 336 actions, smooth, solid and classic. It seems like I just had an old Weaver 4X on mine. I think that is really all the magnification anybody needs for that round.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
A Leupold 2x7x33 or the 2.5x8x36 would look good on that rifle. A VX3i 1.5x5 would also work well.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Rem has taken many a deer and bear here in the Catskill Mtns !! Wonderfull woods gun !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old one like yours, paid $200 for it at a gunshop years ago. On mine I re chambered the bbl to 356 Win for the hell of it and it shoots very well.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swordfish
posted Hide Post
This is a 1958 336ADL in .35Rem I have.

Posts: 242 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
nice!