THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    "Pressures, case strength, and back thrust"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Pressures, case strength, and back thrust"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://www.longrangehunting.c...and-back-thrust.396/

I found this old article surfing around. Interesting comments regarding case design vs back thrust. Safely firing a .30-.30 with the locking lugs removed!

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
PO Ackley did tests on a 94; but with an IMP case. No locking bolt needed at 40K psi and below. We see that all the time when the primer is protruding; shows that the brass handled all the pressure. I will read the attachment later.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the article reported that the straighter the case wall, the more it "sticks" to the chamber wall. Of particular note, are comments on the 250-3000 Savage case and how it's taper contributes mightily to back thrust. The AI case much less so as you point out.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
PO Ackley did tests on a 94; but with an IMP case. No locking bolt needed at 40K psi and below. We see that all the time when the primer is protruding; shows that the brass handled all the pressure. I will read the attachment later.

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The article also makes reference to brass case thickness and design around this part of the equation.

Some time ago I found an interesting piece on the redesign features of the 7x61 cartridge. I used this cartridge for years during which time Norma made the transition from their original 7x61 S&H case to their new 7x61 Super case which gave an increase of 50fps MV in loaded ammunition with the 160gr bullet. Point made was that the thinner brass was stronger due to heat treating and better metalurgical properties

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All of which means nothing; remember that the primer is the weak link here; not the brass.
Remember the "steel head" brass from the 1980s?
This is how we get to use 98K psi in our tank cannons, which are just big Sharps falling blocks. We use steel, electric primers, screwed in. One of my jobs was managing tank ammo. It was like hand loading; ordering cases, projectiles, primers, Propellant, load assemble and pack.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 336 and a Sav 99 in 25-35 imp.
I wondered about the "weaker" 30-30 case I always used. I formed a few cases out of the much stronger 375 Win cases. Because of the thicker brass, my loads used a couple grains less, but vel before the lever got sticky was the same as with 30-30 brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Much to do about nada!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Except...
It is important to remember that lever action rifles don't operate like bolt actions with "pressure signs".
AND if you go beyond allowed pressure, the Marlins and Winchesters do not handle it well. I tend to stick to original factory pressures and mimic factory
loaded cartridges.

The 348 WCF case was one of the best and my favorite over the years. It came about as a strong tapered case derived from the .50 Win Ex.
Even staying within original loading pressures, it has slain bear, deer, elk and my largest moose.
Have an original 99 Savage in 250-3000.
It will still put the original 87 gr bullet out
at 3000 fps, and won't burn out the barrel if
not hot-rodded.

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
spot on! Like any other rifle design, work up loads a grain at a time, then half gr. to the rifles max, all else is twiddle! Levers are not as strong as a bolt action and they don't need to be..

I did a little informal test some years ago when such things seemed important and a chamber polished to 380 to 400 grt apparently had less back thrust and would allow a tad more pressure than a 600 -800 grt chamber or so it seemed.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Snake oil, P.O Ackley was selling snake oil. He was selling his wild cat designs in competition to others who had other gimmicks, such as Weatherby,all of which claiming their cartridge went faster because of some special feature. Yes, even tapered cartridges will lock in, depending on the level of friction between case and chamber, up to the point that the pressure in the case stretches the side walls. If you have ever fired a light load, and found the primers above the case head, then you have duplicated Ackley's 30-30 test.

Ackley's choice of a low pressure round was quite "fortuitous". If he had tried a lug less 30-06 AI, the case head would have blown off, and the bolt would have blown out.

When ever Ackley's claims have been put to the test, his claims are proven false.

Experimenting with Bolt Thrust

https://gundigest.com/gear-amm...ing-with-bolt-thrust

Ackley had a bolt thrust test gauge, it is shown in the first Handloader magazine issue. Now, just where is his bolt thrust data? It went in the trash, that is where it went.