Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BLR Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, I have been thinking about picking up a BLR just because I never had one. I have a Marlin 45-70 but I was thinking of a 450 Marlin. Anybody have one? How do you like it? What do you think, straight stock or pistol grip?

I like the idea ot the stronger rotary bolt lock up. That way, I could just shoot my 45-70 with the 28,000 psi loads and use the BLR for the stuff that is loaded to 40,000 psi.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave
I did just what you are talking about. I had a Marlin in 45-70 and bought a BLR straight stock in 450 Marlin. I really like the BLR and it loves the Leverevolution ammo. Dave

Posts: 269 | Location: South East Florida | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 BLR's in 450M. Very happy with both of em. Mine are take down models so cleaning is a bit easier. They shoot very well with IMR4198. Brass lasts forever, which is good because it's really only available when Hornady does a run, which seems to be once ever 12 to 18 months.

Only complaint on the BLR is that removing the bolt (IMHO) is a no-no on the newer models. Very difficult to get the timing correct whem re-installing. Since mine are take downs I dont have to clean from the muzzle. The lever that does not close when the rifle is apart bothers me a little, but no that much anymore.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
I have 2 BLR's in 450M. Very happy with both of em. Mine are take down models so cleaning is a bit easier. They shoot very well with IMR4198. Brass lasts forever, which is good because it's really only available when Hornady does a run, which seems to be once ever 12 to 18 months.

Only complaint on the BLR is that removing the bolt (IMHO) is a no-no on the newer models. Very difficult to get the timing correct whem re-installing. Since mine are take downs I dont have to clean from the muzzle. The lever that does not close when the rifle is apart bothers me a little, but no that much anymore.

Biscut, do you prefer the straight grip or pistol grip stock?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks wise I like the straight but shooting wise I prefer the pistol grip.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I have owned four BLRs. Two were 308s, one was a 358, and one was a 308 rebored to .338 Federal. All four were very accurate. All four had straight stocks. The 308s and the .338 were easy shooters. The 358 kicked so hard that I didn't like shooting it at all. The recoil was worse than that of a Marlin 45-70 shooting full power loads. I only mention this because I would suppose the 450 would a very hard kicker in a straight stocked BLR.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a 'Light-Weight' BLR in 7mm-08. I got it in the pistol grip configuration. I debated between the 308,243 @ 7mm-08.

NRA(Life),Veteran, RMEF,RGS,DU

Posts: 49 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the 450 Mag. a rimmed cartridge..The BLR takes rimless rounds unless you intend to spend a bundle..

If I were converting a BLR then I would opt for a 416 Taylor ( on the 338 case) and probably load it down to where I wanted it or go shoot and elephant with it as is...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42169 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the fixed hammer .358 rifles.
Mostly I like it though the trigger is about the worst I have ever had. With 250 grain loads recoil is pretty brisk.
If I get another it would be one of the .223s.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Brisk" thats about an understatement if I ever heard one. My marlin in 45-70 compares to shooting a 3" twelve guage buckshot round with no recoil pad. "Brisk" now thats funny right there.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote