THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Reeder Custom Guns & Buffalo Bore ammunition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reeder Custom Guns & Buffalo Bore ammunition
 Login/Join

posted
A few months ago, I purchased a Gary Reeder African Classic lever rifle chambered in 50 Alaskan. I ordered a box of Buffalo Bore 525 gr rounds and some Grizzly ammo in 500 gr and 525 gr. The Buffalo Bore came first. When I loaded the magazine to test feeding, the gun jammed open and required me to take out the lever and remove the round. This happened several more times so I called Reeder who told me to ship the gun and some of the ammo I was using back to them so they could determine the problem.

A few days later, he called me and asked me if those were Buffalo Bore rounds. He said that shooting Buffalo Bore would void the warranty on the gun and that it was the worst ammunition on the market. I know they load their ammunition hot, but they indicate that up front. What is interesting is the Grizzly ammo lists the same bullet weights at the same velocity. I was wondering what your opinions are? It seems to me like there is something personal between them and Buffalo Bore.

Posts: 10 | Location: PA | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probable just a pissing match between the two companies. That said same velocities don't necessarily mean same pressures. I would stick with the recommended loads. Being a custom gun the work was designed around specific loads . Also I do'nt believe the 50 Alaskan has SAAMI specs so there is no guide lines as to what the max pressures should be. I would trust the pressure the gunmaker feels is safe over a ammo maker.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would not use buffalo bore in my 50 alaskan. Firstly, I think the ammo is grossly overpriced for what you get. Buffalo Bore does also push the edge on pressure. MY alaskan is on a marlin which is significantly weaker than a winchester lever gun.
Probably, the 'real' problem is the wide flat nose design of the bullet. These are hard to feed and the ramp profile has to be reworked to make them feed right.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Grizzly ammo in my Miroku/Winchester 26 inch octagon barreled 1886 .45-90 has performed flawlessly.

They custom loaded 450 grain Kodiak bullets to 2150 fps and they load, chamber, fire, and eject with no problem. Naturally, they also shoot through most critters.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BB and Grizzly may load to the same velocities but the pressure curve could be quite different...and so can the consistency of their loadings. I have used BB and while I had no issues it is widely known they skirt the very edge of max loads.

I also have a Reeder custom levergun in 450GNR and have zero problems with feeding any type/shape bullets in it. That being said, the 50 Alaskan cartridge with WFN bullets is notorious for being a bastard to get feeding well....simply the mechanics of it. Did you ever see a blunt nosed aircraft? Better to use a bullet like a LFN style that don't have such a huge metplate.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Private Contractor
posted Hide Post
I have been considering getting a WWG 50 Alaskan Co-Pilot for some time, despite the criticism into the customer service of WWG seen on the forums. I do have several 45/70s and use a variety of hot over the counter loads including Buffalo Bore, Garrett, and Grizzly. My recent encounters with the rounds have been failure to feed/ extract due to non-spec length, in either the ammo, or in the chamber of the new Marlin/Remington rifles. Buffalo Bore definitely pushes the envelope of pressure and while it may be safe for the majority of Marlins, I would exercise caution, and not make it my everyday plinking ammunition. That being said, I think the main issue is insuring a proper feed, custom guns sometimes require special loads to reach there sweet spot, if the Grizzly feeds, shoots, and is backed by the manufacturer, then by all means stock up. I have had to do this with several weapons, especially when I find a good load.

-Private Contractor-
Retired
Private Security Contractor
Executive Protection
PMC WWPS
Instructor and Collector of Pokey and Sharp Things
USTC

Posts: 31 | Location: Bridgeport, Texas | Registered: 04 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC, ever think of getting an 1886 take-down model and either doing a rebarrel to a short 50cal or reaming/cutting the existing one and rechambering it to the 50 Alaskan. A much stronger and smoother action for sure...will have no issues feeding the 50 Alaskan.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote