New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 .358 Win
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have the opportunity to pick one up in good condition for $1000. Thoughts? I know NOTHING about these rifles, other than I like the caliber for whitetail here in the Adirondacks.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the collector demand has driven the price up. I paid $67 for my first one in 1966 and $350 for the other ten years ago.

I would have to see the gun first and if I had plenty of money and wanted it real bad then I might buy it. It would be a spontaneous thing at that point.

Make sure that it's not trashed.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nyrifleman:
I have the opportunity to pick one up in good condition for $1000. Thoughts? I know NOTHING about these rifles, other than I like the caliber for whitetail here in the Adirondacks.

posted Hide Post
i got a good one was offered600.00 last year. love to hunt deer with it so i turned down the offer.perfect gun for adk's

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gave $600 for mine a year ago, but then, .358s aren't too popular out here in the wide open spaces of the West. bewildered For some silly reason, they're considered just brush guns.They're more than that when properly loaded.
All I can say about mine is it looks almost like new and is superbly accurate. Much more so than one would expect from a lever action.
I would have to think a bit on paying $1,000 for one, but if it were truly minty and I wanted it? Well you know the answer to that one.Regardless of how the "egg-spurts" in the gun rags ignore the round, it's one hell of a good one.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$1000 seems a bit of a push unles the condition is near perfect. I looked at a .284 with the tang yesterday in very good conditin @$700.
You are right that the .358 is harder to find but I wonder if it is worth that much extra.
I guess not for me but perhaps for you.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. After looking up the rifle in Blue Book, seems as though $750 would be a 100% rifle, which this is not.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, the .284s are a lot scarcer than the .358s.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a 284 on gunsamerica the other day.Find me a 375 win in a model 99.They are super rare made one year.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think $1000 is abusive unless the thing is literally New-In-Box... of course if it's nearly new and is wearing a Swarovski scope...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dgr416: I have two. One NIB other 95 percent. Cool

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Violator22
posted Hide Post
If it is a pre-mil 358, that is a great price, post-mil is about 800 dollars. but that is just my opinion, vigillinus should back me on this. Les

Don't hold you farts, they travel up your spine to your brain and thats where crappy ideas come from!

Posts: 24 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 21 July 2005Reply With Quote