New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod. 94 feeding problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an '64 manufactured 32 win that has what might be an unusual problem.

After pushing a round through the loading gate sometimes the cartridge rim will stay put at the end of the gate to allow compression of the gate for the next round and sometimes it will slip under and will not allow the gate to compress for another one.

This of course seems to get worse the more you try to load due to the magazine spring pressure. It also seems to contribute to the next ctg. trying to feed along with the first.
What exactly stops a cartridge from slipping to the rear? This is an older gate that does not have the curved opening that allows viewing of the rim.

I have disassembled the rifle and cleaned/lubed, and the cartridge stop on the front of the link seems to be doing its job.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The lever stops the cartridge from sliding back. If you put one in the tube and watch as you open the lever you will see how the cartridge rides back against the lever. In addition, there is a rib on the back of the cartridge gate that keeps the cartridge from sliding behind the gate. Yours is worn out(not likely) or it may have a burr on it that is hanging up on the base of the cartridge when you try to push the gate in. You can smooth and polish the rib to make it work better.

It sounds like the magazine spring is stronger than it needs to be. Many of them are. You can shorten the spring so that it is 4" longer than the tube and it will be easier to load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That makes sense, Marc. I suspected the extra metal on the inside of the gate had something to do with the shell staying there, but am not sure what can be done about that part if it not keeping the shell put. For the hell of it I have tried to locate a replacement, but all places I have found only keeps parts for the pre '64 rifles, at least for most parts. I will shorten the spring as I have a AGI armorer's video for the '94 that says that move can be worthwhile.
Thanks.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The overly strong magazine spring might be the whole problem. Some of what you are experiencing is normal but it is made worse by the magazine spring.

The rib on the back of the gate is angled so the cartridge in the magazine is always partway behind it. That means when you push the gate in against an already loaded cartridge you have to wedge the cartridges forward against the spring. Deburring the front face of the rib can help as will shortening the spring.

When I load the tube I don't push each cartridge all the way in. I leave the base of the cartridge hung in the gate to hold the gate open while I get another cartridge to load. I only push the last cartridge to be loaded all the way in.