Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith to build 450 Alaskan
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all, I have a Winchester 71 which I want to convert to 450 Alaskan. Who should I have do the work? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4 | Location: New Mexico, USA | Registered: 04 February 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about “should”, but Turnbull is certainly capable.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
https://manitoucustomguns.com/gunsmithing-services

You might look into this guy William Bohn, I see he's done a 71 and I think he is capable of the work you want.

Posts: 1213 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
Robert Schuck is the best there is, in my opinion. He was a machinist by trade before he retired and hand builds custom rifles from the ground up. He's a member of the custom gunmakers guild. Currently lives in Weimar , TX west of Houston by about two hours. Here is his info:

Robertschuckcustomrifles@gmail.com

Website is here: https://www.acgg.org/index.php...rofile/rlschuck.html

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the direction. I will contact those shops next week.

Posts: 4 | Location: New Mexico, USA | Registered: 04 February 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to contact Chuck Grace in Westcliffe Colorado. He has done several custom 86's (not much different from 71's). His contact info can be found on the ACGG website. Good luck!

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Harry McGowen in St Anne, IL has done a number of M-71 rifles to 450 and 50 Alaskan.

There are two ways to go on the .450A new barrel, or re-chamber and re-rifle the existing Win 348 barrel I have both versions: the re-rifled 348 barrel M-71 handles like a 1920s 1886 smokeless 1886 in 45-70.
Stiff loads however, require a new heavier barrel.

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wild West Guns in Anchorage Alaska built mine about 10 years ago.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice one for sale at Cabelas in Roger Minnesota...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote