Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
I have a question, purchased a BLR in 300 Wsm, handloaded some test rounds with mixed brass..nickel and brass..all things being equal..powder load, bullet , primer...brass cycles fine yet nickel plated very hard to eject after firing..would a small based full lengh die fix this?? Thanks...

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Why not just get rid of the nickel plated brass, or, in the alternative, full length size it each time.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I do full size every round for this gun as its a lever rifle...and I like nickel brass..my question was would a small base die alleviate this problem...Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was not aware of a small base resizing die for that caliber, but apparently they exist and if so, squeezing the diameter of the case somewhat would most likely solve your sticking problem with the case. Believe you will find that if the nickel plated cases are resized on a repeated basis the plating can separate or at least that is what I have heard in the past. Hopefully it will work just fine for you.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MFD...Thank you for that...I have used nickel in my 300Win Mag.for years now, I don't push my loads to hard and usually only will load hunting brass three times...couldn't tell ya why, just habit.....again..thanks

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I believe the answer to your question is only to be found by your own testing of your own reloads in your own rifle.

To make a possibly accurate guesstimate before testing, it seems to me it is important to know, first of all, "WHY is your brass sticking in the chamber?"

Have you mic'ed the nickled brass before firing it, to see if it is larger than the unplated brass? If it is, MAYBE a small base die would help.

That, of course assumes that both the nickled and unplated cases are the same hardness and Temper.

And, as I'm sure you already know, even minimal book loads turn out to be maximum loads in some rifles. So, you may think your are loading at low pressure levels, but that might not actually be the situation.

So...

Have you tried loading even slightly lighter loads (say two grains lighter) with the same brass and the same bullets and powder?

If not, try that. It might solve your problem without having to buy another die. The game you are shooting with the lighter load sure won't notice the difference.

If your nickled brass is softer than your unplated brass (which I doubt, but which IS possible), it could simply be the expansion of the brass during firing and the lack of the same amount of "spring" to bring it back close to pre-firing dimensions, that is causing the sticking. A small-base die is not likely to cure that.

Only if your nickled brass is measurably larger at the base than your non-plated brass (before firing), would I expect a small base die to give you any relief from this situation, and even then I wouldn't hold my breath.

So, if I was you, I'd do a bit more measuring, a bit more testing, then decide whether I thought a small-base die might help. If it looked like the reason for the sticking was something which a small-base die is intended to address, then I might buy one and try it.

Just remember that for most shooters, small-base dies are used to make the rounds easier and more reliable to fully chamber BEFORE firing, not to shrink them after firing but before extraction.

Best wishes, and good luck.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir I understand the purpose of the smaller based die...I thank you for the idea of lighter loads, and I haven't really spent the time measuring before and after firing...I will pursue that when I get the chance to shoot again..With all things equal...load primer and bullet, only different factor being nickle or brass...I only have ejection problems on the nickle stuff....I will take your advice and do a bit more homework..I am just trying to save a few bucks on something I may or may not need...again Thank you.....