THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Re: Check out my tweaked Marlins
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Check out my tweaked Marlins
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll take the 45-70...a scope on a lever gun is like gilding a lily. I have several lever rifles and a peep sight is great, keeps the gun handy and compact, clean lines and very fast in use.

I cannot comment on the 444, having never owned one. But, the 45-70 is a creme de la creme! I'd also like to know who performed your action slicking.

I had Dennis Olson rebarrel a 95 Winchester to 35 Whelen, install a peep and slick the guts..premium work all around.

I own 5 or 6 marlin 30-30's, another in 7-30, one in 32 special, two in 35 remington, the 45-70, a 95 Winchester in 30-06 and the mentioned 35 Whelen and almost forgot the big bore 94 in 375. All are fine guns but if I had to choose just one, the 45-70 would be the keeper. It's a punkin chucker for sure, but damn, does it deliver the goods in high fashion!

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I decided to have a little work done to by big bore Marlins. I have a 444S of 1980 vintage that was rebarreled by Marlin to the newer 1-20" twist a couple of years ago. I've always loved that rifle but felt it should have a barrel that is a little shorter. I decided to have the barrel cut to 18.5", have a decelerator added, and have that nasty trigger adjusted down to 3# (was roughly 8#). For my 1895G, it also got a trigger job, a decelerator, plus an action job. It was once gritty as sandpaper now it's smooth as butter! I am really happy with the work done on these two rifles and hope to lay the smack to several deer and hogs this season!

Here are the 2 slicked up Marlins:

The .444S wears a Leupold M8 2.5x20mm scope with a Premier Reticle 4A and the 1895G has XO Sight Systems Ghost Ring set up.

Here is the 444S along with a 1972 Savage 99A (.308 Winchester) for a size comparison.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a couple weeks or so,I'm goin to have the same scope/ring set up on my 95 45/70 as you have on your 444.Boy the old boy at Talley scope mounts is sure a hoot.Hell I'd pay the price just to talk to him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charger - I suppose you were able to get somebody to ship the scope to Canada for you eh?

Good deal!

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Buzz
Scope and rings/bases,are an "All systems GO" The shipping,and all.Thanks again yuall.LOL