THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEVER ACTION RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Lever Action Rifles    Marlin 1892 reline... Which caliber?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1892 reline... Which caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Marlin model 1892 with a ruined bore. I can reline it to the original 32 Short and Long Colt, but ammo is not made in either caliber by Winchester any more, and probably by no one else. I just want a currently manufactured cartridge that is safe and can be made to feed in the old rifle. The 1892 was designed with rimfire and centerfire pins to enable it to fire the 32 rimfire or the 32 short or long colt. Unfortunately the centerfire cartridges use a heeled bullet with inside lubrication. The magazine port is too short for the 32 S&W Long..too bad.. I already have a Colt in that caliber. I can buy a liner in .308 or .311 so I am thinking of 32 Auto or 32 S&W as possible alternatives. I haven't measured the cases yet to see if I have feeding problems with these cartridges yet. Any suggestions? The gun isn't nice enough to be a collectible, so I'm not worried about changing calibers from that perspective. The rifle isn't marked as to caliber by the way.

Allan

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on the Cowboy action shooting, many of them are rechambering to 32 S&W long, as that action does not have a cartidge stop in the receiver.

The only cartidge stop is the cut in the carrier, so that could be changed to fit the S&W short.

The only differneces between the 32 Long Colt and the S&W long are the basic cartidge case diameters and bullet, heeled vs non heeled, but the basic overall length is the same.

James Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a good smith and he is relining the barrel and converting it to shoot 32 S&W long. The magazine port had to be opened and the feed mechanism tweaked a bit. I'm hoping that it will also feed the 32 S&W short as I just found 5 boxes of ammo.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote