Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of Browning BLR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Am thinking of buying a Browning BLR in .450 Mar. The one thing I definitely want is the buttstock to have a pistol grip.
Now my conundrum: I would like stainless steel, and I would also like the Take-Down feature. Unfortunately they are both available only in the straight stock version.

What are the plusses and minuses with the take-down feature?
Are there any minuses with stainless steel? May have to go with a new finish on the blue.
Remember, the pistol grip is a non-negotiable.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prof

http://www.browning.com/produc...pistol-grip-firearms

The Browning site shows both take down and stainless w pistol grips- bewildered

Have you considered some of the after-market surface treatments?

ssr

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had/have BLR's and they are excellent rifles other than the blasted trigger. You can get used to it with enough practice, but it is stout. Accuracy rivals a lot of bolt guns and very smooth action and quick to operate as well.
Older ones had the magazine sticking down from the action quite a bit, but newer ones are very positive and flush with receiver which makes for balanced carry with one hand while afoot.
Only negative I have heard about the take down models is that the latch/lever you operate to separate the two halves does not close back flush once separated, but remains stuck out so to speak. I have had the older ones in steel receivers from Belgium and ones from Japan. Newer ones are more refined and have fluted bolts/raceway and few years ago had to get another one and bought the 2008 Shot Show Special which is dubbed White Gold Medallion with Grade IV/V wood, engraved, very high quality finish all around.
Have noticed they are offering this model again, but the thing is just too fancy to hunt with and bang around. Never shot it, and it's what we say around here, "just for look'n."
Not nostalgic, no old west history, but it is a damn good levergun and in the caliber you mention would make a real game getter.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a BLR 450M in straight stock take down and pistol grip take down. Both triggers are excellent. One is new and the other is only a few years old.

Take down lever is a little pain in the ass but I've gotten use to it. Excellent accuracy and good gun overall. I just don't like how the wood finish is easily damaged. Wood is pretty though.

I don't have stainless as I personally feel the japanese do well with chrome molly barrels but not so good with stainless. Just my feelings!

Good luick.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
CrossL, yep, they have both, but not one that has all three! As noted, a new surface treatment is a possibility
Of the choices, I am leaning toward the stainless with pistol grip. The take down feature would be nice to have, but not necessary.

Biscut, I probably would dull the stock finish anyway so am not that concerned. This will be a using rifle rechambered from .450 Marlin to .458 B&M as shown on the Terminal Ballistics thread. Also, if I got the new model with the laminated stock, pistol grip, stainless, this would not be a problem.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prof242,

I just PM'd you re: my .375 Ruger BLR conversion (from a stainless takedown .300 Win mag) Mine now looks better than a factory gun- - I am sold on it 100% !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Am thinking of buying a Browning BLR in .450 Mar. The one thing I definitely want is the buttstock to have a pistol grip.
Now my conundrum: I would like stainless steel, and I would also like the Take-Down feature. Unfortunately they are both available only in the straight stock version.

What are the plusses and minuses with the take-down feature?
Are there any minuses with stainless steel? May have to go with a new finish on the blue.
Remember, the pistol grip is a non-negotiable.

Stainless steel sliding parts gall if not lubricated properly.

I have no idea why you are stuck on the pistol grip. I use them either way with out problems.
I prefer the appearance of the pistol grips on a Winchester or a Marlin. The Browning pistol grip appearance is hideous to my eyes. And that is not negotiable.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted Hide Post
I'd look at a Marlin XLR - stainless and laminate and if you want to convert to a take down, www.wildwestguns.com (WWG) can do that for you. The WWG company makes aftermarket trigers that drop in and they're excellent. I sold my one 22-250 BLR because the barrel was thin and it was good for about 3 shots 'till it cooled off. Plus the trigger is poor. I like the 450 load, and own Marlins.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
To each his own on looks. I like the pistol grip on the BLR and it provides, to me, better control of the rifle. So, no negotiation on my part, either.

The Marlin was not what I needed, although I think they are a good rifle. The BLR can handle between 15k and 20k more pressure than the Marlin. My hope was to develop a rifle suitable for African game. So far, I have already reach over 2150fps and well over 4,000ftlbs of energy with a 400gr CEB bullet. How? I had the throat lengthened to take an overall cartridge length of 2.85" and could have gone to 2.95" with no problem. Using the magazines for the WSM cartridges, this was very easy to do. I may go to the 2.95 OAL at a later date.

As to the comment on Stainless steel galling, yes it does and needs proper lubricant. Having worked in small arms R&D with the DOD and with a firearms manufacturer, I have known this for years.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've owned several BLRs and liked them all. I much prefer the pistol grip version, expecially in heavier chamberings.

If I was facing your options, I would get exactly what I wanted in a chrome-moly take-down version, then send it to Robbie Barkman for his NP-3 finish. Will look much like a satin stainless finish, and have comparable corrosion resistance...+ not nearly the galling potential to worry about.

BTW, none of my BLR triggers were/are at all heavy, though they were/are somewhat mushy (much like a factory stock Luger trigger). Doesn't take much to get used to, though. Just learn to pull through it in one smooth motion, rather than trying to find the "edge" just before it releases the hammer. There wasn't/isn't any "edge" on mine so trying to find it would be frustrating as heck and rather futile. So, trying to get most of the pull done (up to the "edge") then refining the aim, then applying that last little bit of pressure for release just isn't the best way to use MY BLR triggers.

Pulling through is a better motion for running game anyway. Trying to find and hold that "edge" which motionless paper-punching utilizes so well is counter-productive on running game...tends to make one stop their swing and not maintain their lead, just like trying to do it with a shotgun does on flying birds.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
As a skeet shooter, your point is well-taken.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
prof242

You can make a custom on the BLR platform, find one chambered in .300 win mag or 7mm rem mag and have it re-barreled to .458win, now your talking about a true "african" cartridge not that the 450 Marlin is a slouch but, how cool would that be to have a lever rifle in .458win mag???? There are several companies that work on the BLR i just cant remember them now.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one site is www.z-hat.com they also do the Hawk cartridges and theres the 411 hawk which would work well. Does anyone load the 450 Marlin anymore?????

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hornady loads the .450 Marlin using their 325gr LeverRevolution bullet. It does pretty good.

Had thought about using the longer, heavier, actioned BLR, but wanted to keep the rifle more lively...it sure is with heavy loads. I'm getting efficient loads with the rifle and its light enough to carry into the mountains for elk in the thick timber.
Thanks for your info.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member